St Patty's Blarney Beer

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Head First, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

Got home from work Wednesday afternoon and after checking the forum was chatting with my brewing partner. She had come up with a recipe for March 17th. So on a whim we named it and brewed it.
    We split this into 2-5gal batches using yeast separately. I realize the german ale yeast isn't irish by any means but hope it will come out with malty roast flavor as style calls for. We had a scotish ale on deck so just did a combo thing.
    I'm wondering if this is to much roasted barley for irish ale? Will it be more stout like?
    Comments?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/103248/st-patty-s-blarney-beer

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    shouldn't be for 10 gallons, for 5 yes but it will have a distinct roasted front end taste with the roasted grain which I like my self, some don't if your looking for malty and roasty it might be a challenge, theirs a fine line in the balance but good luck, let us know how it finished :D

3. Head First

This is a recipe we pulled from Brewing Classic Styles for an Irish Ale. A different hop but comparable grain bill. Will keep ya posted. You mean not enough grain for a 10 gal batch?

4. Head First

Racked into carboy's Sunday (17 days) and am lagering at 36-38f. Would have kegged but all kegs are full :D .
    German ale 1007 yeast finished out at 1.009.
    Scottish ale 1728 yeast was 1.008.
    The German was actually smoother and had more malt flavor. Go figure. I was expecting the opposite. The roasted malt didn't over power at all. I thought it balanced out well.
    Will give an update when I get it in a keg and carbonated. Cheers!!

5. Head First

Kegged and tasting both. The scotch yeast is as smooth as it should be with the carmel malts standing over the roasted. The German yeast is a little more crisp with the roasted malt holding the edge. I consider it a successful experiment but will have the Irish yeast on hand for a St Pattys recipe next year. I did rinse the German yeast and am using it in a hoppy pale ale that's been fermenting 10 days now.