SRM Calculator Question

Reaction score
I have a question about the SRM calculator. I brewed a Oktoberfest Marzen and the SRM (Morey) indicated a 10.4. The calculator indicates 25.6 and the beer is more in the 30+ range. Very dark.

So my question is how is this number obtained in recipe builder and on the color calculator? Why are they so different? How do I get to an SRM that I can use in the recipe builder?

Marzen Grain Bill.JPG

Attachments

• Marzen SRM.JPG
    Marzen SRM.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 37
  • marzen Calc SRM.JPG
    marzen Calc SRM.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 40
The color calculator is a rough approximation, it does not account for efficiency, and more specifically lautering and post boil volume losses that will heavily impact that calculation.

It's also worth noting that your grain Lovibond may not match, your mash conversion efficiency impacts the color in reality but not in the calculation, and even the glass shape affects the perceived color.

Definitely one place where I would recommend not obsessing over, take a note and be aware of accordingly for future brews.

Beer colour can some times be tricky lighting in the room or outside in the sun a darkish beer will look quite lite.

I agree with Pricelessbrewing.
Taking note of what your seeing compared to the recipe calc and adjusting next time.

Back