Spooky Doors - IPA for feedback please.

Malt bill looks okay but I'd mash lower with the Cara and Aromatic in it. You'll get some sweetness from both so don't overdo the mash temp or your attenuation may suffer. Also CaraMunich II may add a touch of roast that you may not like. CaraMunich I is as dark as I go in an IPA.
Moasaic is awesome, but I'd suggest a different bittering hop. It can be harsh in the early boil. I like 1/3 of total IBUs at 60 with something smooth like Magnum. If you're stuck on Mosaic, use less at 60 and make it denser in the late additions. You'll get lots of lush fruit and less harsh bitterness.
Totally right track though, and you may very much enjoy it exactly as you have it laid out. :)

Thank you JA, you are a legend. I have adjusted the grain bill as per your recommendation. Regarding the bittering, I have 18g at 90 mins, should I start this at 60 instead to reduce the bitterness?

I would definitely bitter at 60 with something else like Magnum, Warrior, Nugget, etc...

You might even think about moving all of the Mosaic late additions to a 30 minute whirlpool at 170. So all Mosaic would be in the whirlpool and dry hop.

I see a 60 minute bittering charge in your recipe that accounts for over half your IBUs. I merely suggest using a different, milder hop at 60 or dropping the amount of the Mosaic so that you're getting less IBUs and boosting the later additions to make up for it. Moasic can impart a very harsh edge to the bitter qualities but when it's used later, because it's a high-alpha hop, you get plenty of bitterness with a ton of flavor.
I might try something like 12 g at 60 minutes, 20g each at 20 and 10 minutes and 60 at flame-out, leaving the hop bag in for chilliing, assuming that it doesn't take too long, 15 or 20 minutes to get the temp lowered. That extended contact time acts as a whirlpool addition and will give you all the goods from the late addition.

Back