Speidel 50l importing Beer-XML files

Sheepdog6560

Premium Member
Reaction score
I took the leap and upgraded my older 20l Speidel (which was not wifi or connect-able) to a new 50l unit which states that it can import recipes in Beer-XML format. I get an error message when I try to load recipes on the Speidel site that the mash steps cannot be imported. Not sure if anyone else has figured out a way around this issue - it would be a giant pain in the neck to type the recipes into the tiny screen on the brewing unit but if I have to I will! Thanks for reading!

I would import that recipe into Excel and see what it looks like, then look at how the formatting for the device you have requires. You should be able to make a simple spreadsheet that uses a macro to convert it.

Unfortunately there is very little in the ways of standards.

I took the leap and upgraded my older 20l Speidel (which was not wifi or connect-able) to a new 50l unit which states that it can import recipes in Beer-XML format. I get an error message when I try to load recipes on the Speidel site that the mash steps cannot be imported. Not sure if anyone else has figured out a way around this issue - it would be a giant pain in the neck to type the recipes into the tiny screen on the brewing unit but if I have to I will! Thanks for reading!
Agree. See if you can find a sample beer-XML file that you can successfully import. Someone must have one somewhere. Then, compare the format of that with the format of your recipe and see what the differences are. They might possibly have one on their website.

Unfortunately there is very little in the ways of standards.

Tell me about it, and BeerXml is over 14 years old now with no activity or updates. There are many severe limitations to the recipe format. One of the projects I was spending some of my copious free time in was working on an updated schema standard, beerJSON. Still hoping we can implement it and replace BeerXML as the industry standard so we can actually export and use modern recipe processes and methods.... https://beerjson.github.io/beerjson/

So I poked around a little on line - it seems to be a common problem between Speidel, who has their own recipe builder which is pretty poor, and other recipe building programs and the XML format, as described by the kind responses I received from this community.

I am not really good at file manipulations and tried to view the XML format, but spiedel recipes use a dot RECIPE extension and downloading those files I am not sure what the base language is to see where the compatibility issues may lie. The main issue to me is "false advertising" as the site seems to imply that it is east to import beerxml files:

upload_2022-11-1_8-58-3.png

The work around is not too hard, but I did e-mail feedback@myspeidel.com to see what their response would be. If I have to build my recipes in their primitive recipe builder software, then I will do so. I would think with a very expensive rig like the speidel that they would want to make sure the "operating system" would be more compatible in the USA - I think it is a big reason why they are not more popular over here and US based systems are catching up (even though most of them a manufactured in China if that matters).

I am not really good at file manipulations and tried to view the XML format, but spiedel recipes use a dot RECIPE extension and downloading those files I am not sure what the base language is to see where the compatibility issues may lie.
Almost certainly the base file format is .TXT. Simply change the file extension to .TXT from RECIPE and it should open easily.
Let us know.

Back