Special Hops

Daniel777

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am thinking to make some SMaSH beers (inspired by Smash café's topic). Just some regular Pale Ales, to try out the aromas of hops like Galaxy, or Sorachi Ace.

But these extra hops are really expensive here (Hungary), so I am thinking of using some cheap bittering hop (usually hallertauer Taurus) and use them just as aroma hops. What do you think, should I? Will it interfere with the aroma of the extra hops?

Thanks!
Daniel

They might. Can you get something like Warrior, Magnum, or something with a high alpha percentage that you won't need much of and gives little flavour for a 60 min. boil?

the bittering hop for a 60 minute boil will not have any flavor at all if you put them in at 60 or 90 so go by the ibu of what ever hop you use for bittering, doesn't matter what kind

I wouldn't waste the money on the more pricey hops for bittering. use what you've used before for the bittering addition, as it will have minimal effect on the flavor and aroma. use the pricey hops for the flavor and aroma additions.

It *technically* wouldn't be a SMaSH any more, but that is pretty much exactly what I do.
My base IPA recipe is almost always 25g Magnum (20-25l batches) at 60-90mins and then whatever I want to add as aroma hops at 15-0mins. Keeps it simple and Magnum is so neutral that I can really concentrate on the aroma additions.

Magnum is my go-to bittering hop. Unless I have a good reason to depart from it, I generally use it for bittering and something more pricey for flavor. By bittering, I use it for any additions at 60-45 minutes.

Back