Sorry it's late but...Hello All!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jason0698, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Jason0698

Jason0698 New Member

Hello all
    My name is Jason and live in Glendora, California. I'm just getting back to brewing. I started back in 1998 with the very few extracts that were available and not that fresh either. I got frustrated with the lack of access so I stopped. Now that my finances have changed and the ease of access and brew shops, I have decided to get back into this exciting hobby. I want to ultimately get into all grain brewing, but since I am out of practice I think I will start off with partial mash. I have a few recipes that I have downloaded from Brewer's Friend that I am excited to try out. Can't wait to start!! I will definitely be asking questions (probably easy noobie questions), so be patient with me. Thank you in advance. Hope to make a lot of new friends here.

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

If you're comfortable doing extract recipes where steeping grains are used, you're ready for all grain. That's what Brew In A Bag (BIAB) is. Basically you're steeping all of the grains needed to make the beer.

3. Jason0698

Jason0698 New Member

Thank you jeffpn. I think I'm mostly concerned about my confidence in all grain brewing. My biggest worry is the grist/strike water ratio with enough room for sparge water to make a 5 gallon batch. I don't want the boiling volume too much or too diluted (or visa vera). Any tips on that?

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I have a 44 qt pot I got from Amazon. I draw 7 gallons of water for all of my recipes for mashing. I'm not concerned about ratios. When the mash is done, I pull the grain bag, let it drain a bit, and then put it in a bucket with an upside down colander. I pour 170° water over the grains, planning to make my beginning volume 7.25 gallons. I boil off 3/4 gallon in an hour. I like to have 6.5 gallons at the end of the boil. That typically gets me 5 gallons packaged after doing a secondary.

When I start my boil, I have to be careful in the beginning not to have a boil over, but after that, the pot is plenty big enough.

5. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I should mention that I have a graduated copper pipe that I use to check my volumes. I made it myself, pouring a gallon at a time into my boil pot and marking it. I used a copper cutter to score the pipe. If you cap the ends, it's easier to clean.

6. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

As long as you have an extra pot around, you have some wiggle room for some extra wort.

You'll get a sense of the nuances of your system. For instance, I know 12 lbs is about the max that I can biab in my 20qt kettle and still keep a decent thickness on the mash. Similarly, I can comfortably get a rolling boil with about 3.5 gallons in that pot, but at 4 gallons I have to watch it like a hawk so it doesn't boilover.

It comes with time young padawan :)