Sorachi ace & Lemondrop

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a batch bittering with Sorachi Ace hops 1oz 60 min and then whirlpool and dry hoping with the combination of SA and LemonDrop hops. I have read some old posts that say that SA hops are disgusting and garlicky. Has anyone had this experience with Sorachi Ace?

I'm planning a batch bittering with Sorachi Ace hops 1oz 60 min and then whirlpool and dry hoping with the combination of SA and LemonDrop hops. I have read some old posts that say that SA hops are disgusting and garlicky. Has anyone had this experience with Sorachi Ace?
More like dill.

I've used that combo to good effect. I've never experienced garlic or anything disgusting but there is a very noticeable savory-herbal/dill quality. Personally, I think it adds a sophisticated note to the lemon-candy quality of the Lemon Drop.
I'd use Magnum to bitter because it's so smoothe and adds just a note of fruit and flower that really makes the flavors come together..

It just so happens I have some Magnum in the freezer. Thanks for the idea.

I used SA as a late addition in an American Wheat once and it was all dill. I couldn't get past it. I'm unlikely to ever use it again but if I did I would restrain myself to a small amount. YMMV.
I like Lemondrop but I get more citrus with just hints of lemon. It has never been "Lemon-drop candy like" for me, though my late additions were not that large. Next time I use LD, I Intend to lean on it a bit more.

Bittering with Magnum is a great suggestion from @J A

I used SA as a late addition in an American Wheat once and it was all dill. I couldn't get past it. I'm unlikely to ever use it again but if I did I would restrain myself to a small amount. YMMV.
I like Lemondrop but I get more citrus with just hints of lemon. It has never been "Lemon-drop candy like" for me, though my late additions were not that large. Next time I use LD, I Intend to lean on it a bit more.

Bittering with Magnum is a great suggestion from @J A
I'm intending to use SA for my next Gose.

I'm intending to use SA for my next Gose.

Good luck with the Gose. I'd be very interested to hear if you get an overwhelming dill flavor/aroma - or if you even notice it at all. I don't think the dill always dominates, depending on how the Sorachi Ace is used. Thing is, if the dill was subtle, I could see it being very effective. FWIW, in a 2.5 gal batch, I used 1oz of SA and 1oz of Mouteka at 5 minutes left in the boil. I might as well have thrown the Mouteka in the trash. It never got past the dill. :)

I have paired Mouteka with Lemondrop and got a nice citrus/lime flavor/aroma.

I had planned on using SA and lemondrop for whirlpool and dry hop 1 oz each. Is this a mistake?

Good luck with the Gose. I'd be very interested to hear if you get an overwhelming dill flavor/aroma - or if you even notice it at all. I don't think the dill always dominates, depending on how the Sorachi Ace is used. Thing is, if the dill was subtle, I could see it being very effective. FWIW, in a 2.5 gal batch, I used 1oz of SA and 1oz of Mouteka at 5 minutes left in the boil. I might as well have thrown the Mouteka in the trash. It never got past the dill. :)

I have paired Mouteka with Lemondrop and got a nice citrus/lime flavor/aroma.
I want the dill flavor - think hints of pickle juice.

Back