Son of the Sea Hound

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
for whatever reason, i recently found out this is what my last name means. so naturally, i want to make a beer called that.
i was thinking something with some peated malt, maybe a nice saltiness to it. maybe something like a baltic porter.
ideally, i'd be able to imperial-ize it to get just Sea Hound.

any thoughts on particularly Irish ingredients or any other ideas?

Peated malt, unless you want your beer tasting of bog water, is generally not considered a good ingredient for beer.

i googled son of the sea hound to also get an idea, just exploring some ideas, are you sold on making a Porter??

Absolutely not. I figured it'll be a darker beer, but other than that I'm open

from what i read, they were of Viking decent, who went to Ireland with the prefix MAC, and some went to Scotland where it was shortened to MC. my two cents, an English Old Ale, and really darken it up with some good roasted malts.

nice, thanks guys.

old ale..hmmm, sounds interesting. i wonder how a slightly sour, slightly smoky, slightly salty, very malty beer would taste? i'll have to think about the recipe for a bit

also, i was looking up using salt for this recipe and a pretzel wheat, and i saw a few times that iodized salt should be avoided. but i couldn't find a reason. i assume it messes with the yeast in some way?

ok, initial stab

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -sea-hound

i just read that vikings had access to coriander and rye, so that's why they're there. oysters, i don't know. when it was going to be a stout / porter, it made a bit more sense. i could always sub that and just use salt.
I was also thinking of doing a sour mash on the side of about 4 lbs or so of my base malt to add to the boil. get a bit closer to the ABV range for the style

Title: Son of the Sea Hound

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Old Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.090
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 5.71%
IBU (tinseth): 32.52
SRM (morey): 18.87

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (79.2%)
8 oz - American - Roasted Barley (4.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Munich - 60L (4.2%)
1 lb - American - Smoked Malt (8.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Rye (4.2%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Columbus 60 min, IBU: 27.13
1 oz - Fuggles 15 min, IBU: 5.39

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
12 each - oysters, Time: 10 min
0.5 oz - Coriander, Time: 10 min

YEAST:
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002