SMaSH with Enigma or Denali?

Filips

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Any thoughts on Enigma or Denali hops at all? I would like to try 'em out in a SMaSH, just to actually check the hop profile, but I am not quite sure what to expect. So far I know that Enigma is somewhat similar to Galaxy. Has anyone brewed with these hops before?

My anecdotal experience, I did a Denali single hop NEIPA before, and those hops are complex. I honestly thought it was lightly infected. They bring a sweaty pineapple and pine funk, really not comparable to other hops. It was good, just as long as you like overripe pineapple, musky funk, and sharp pine flavors.

Enigma's on my shit list, just don't enjoy the beers I've tried where it's a feature. It can work in a blend (and there's a NEIPA I love that uses it), but don't like it as the star. I get something bitey, a bit like tobacco, but where it's worked it's definitely been part of a tropical juice mix sort of thing.

That's two out of two for your suggestions, so now to point out the obvious, we've undoubtedly got different tastes to you so take it with your pinch of whatever.

I've brewed a pale with enigma in the mix but not on it's own I pared it with mosaic - cites. I liked it my nots read "heaps tropical fruit on the nose". Looking forward to brewing with it more.

Thx for sharing your experience, guys :) May use them in a combo then.

I've tried both, but only paired with others: Denali is tropical and Enigma is kind of " green fruity ". Both are very nice, and would work in smashes and combined with others.

Back