SMASH beer

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite single malt, single hops recipes? Just for fun, I want to brew a 5 gallon batch, including yeast, for under $20. I've gotten under the $25 bar, but haven't hit $20.

I am drinking a very good SMaSH with 11 lbs. 2 row, 3 oz of Cascade and US-05 yeast. $18.75 including tax. Of course I am disregarding the propane and the additional electricity for fermentation control.

Yeah, I'm only talking about the brew store expense. I think I'll look into your ingredients!

Maris Otter and Amarillo worked well for me.

it was a session strength beer, maybe 9 pounds of grain. and i bought the hops in bulk, so ended up spending less than $2/oz

Vienna malt and Saaz hops, if you're willing to lager, make a great beer.

I can't lager right now. Both of my lagering chambers are occupied!

That will definitely be in the future.

12 lbs of Vienna and 1 oz each Saaz pellets at 60, 20, and 5. How's that sound?

Sounds Good. I read this and decided to put up my SMaSH recipe. Marris Otter for the malt and Bramling Cross for the hops. Only ever brewed it once and it turned out kind of like a hoppy blonde ale :lol:

Marris Otter and whatever new hop variety I can get my hands on. Just did that with Lemon Drop hops and I love it.

I think a Saison Smash would be pretty tasty. I tend to only brew Farmhouse style and stick to single hopping. I guess next step would be single malting. Which would be pretty easy since 2 row is generally 70% of bill.

100% 2 row or pilsner with williamette and WL565... That is pretty close to my House Saison. Would really allow the 565 to shine and the earth floral notes of willimette to tame it slightly... If 565 can be tamed.

Saison SMASH: Belgian Pilsner and Styrian Goldings. Ferment with a good spicy yeast. Should be fantastic!

Vienna malt and Saaz hops lager it is. I'll get back with you in 3-4 months and tell you what I think!

I Brewer this SMaSH lager on the date of my last post here. Today, I bottled it, after a 2 1/2 month lagering.

I don't believe I've ever heard of Golden Promise.

its a very good spring English grain as apposed to morris otter which is a fall grain, replace with your favorite pale malt

I cracked open a bottle of the Vienna and Saaz that I chose to brew. It's only been in the bottle for 9 days, so it's a little undercarbed. Good taste, although I bet it'd be smashing (get it?) in a couple of months. I just don't have the patience for that!!

Incidentally, I brewed this beer the same day that my car in my profile picture was assembled. My birthday, August 12th.

Nosybear said:
Vienna malt and Saaz hops, if you're willing to lager, make a great beer.
Thanks, Nosy, for the idea. It is a great beer! I think it'll work its way into my brewing rotation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,661

Back