Slow Start to Ferment

abenes

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just put a whole grain brown recipe together yesterday. All went well. Hit my OG on the nose at 1.060. Aerated the wort and pitched yeast (White Labs 029) with starter (5 hours in starter) at about 70 degrees. She’s now sitting in a 65 degree space. I expected to get up this morning and be needing to consider a blow off tube…but nothing is moving. After 12 hours I expected a lot more action. The only thing off-recipe was the addition of a whirlfloc tab to the boil. Should I be concerned and consider pitching another round of yeast?

Last edited:
12 hours isn’t too long. Wait up to 24 hours for something to happen. It’s possible the yeast count in the White Labs was low due to age or handling, so the starter would have a lower cell count too.

Most homebrewers keep a pack of dry yeast on hand for this sort of thing. If it doesn’t take off by 24-30 hours, consider a dry yeast to salvage the beer.

Welcome @abenes your inquiry is timely, as this general topic was discussed in another thread just yesterday, and is quite common. Recently, I brewed an American Brown Ale that took about 36 hours to exhibit any signs of active fermentation, and that beer fermented out to the expected final gravity. My advice is to be patient, but ready to act if you don’t see any activity over the next day or so. Also make sure your fermenter is properly sealed. Good luck.

All the above! I used buckets and had a lot of leakers. Using Vaseline on the top lip of the bucket and duct tape (yes, it works to seal the leaks) was not well accepted on the forum and they strongly suggested other options like keg lube. My brew mentor reminded me that the contents were sterile and I could add a packet of dry yeast for another try to get it going. If leaking, don't freak if it is a leak since the CO2 is heavier than air and should protect your brew.

I appreciate the input from all! It took about 72 hours to get the first signs of activity rolling and we are perky as can be now. My guess is that a top fermenting yeast at a temp lower than I anticipated delayed it a bit. So far everything looks pretty happy. Thanks for the advice!

In the future, I'd spend more time on the front side to make sure that you have a healthy, active yeast with approximately the right cell count.
I'm most cases, correct or over pitching is better that under pitching.
Cheers,
Brian

I appreciate the input from all! It took about 72 hours to get the first signs of activity rolling and we are perky as can be now. My guess is that a top fermenting yeast at a temp lower than I anticipated delayed it a bit. So far everything looks pretty happy. Thanks for the advice!
Sometimes it just goes that way. I had a lager yeast take 5 days to get going once. Turned out fine

Back