Slow Cool Down effect on Hop Bitterness

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed an extra lemon like bitterness in some of my recipes using the recipe editor, and recently noticed the "no chill" option to try and account for the extended cool down time I get with an ice bath. It usually takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to get to 70º. Since I started using a floating dip tube with a screen, I generally just add all hops loose, and don't filter them out. I've also been fermenting and serving from the same keg. Do any of you using an ice bath make use of the "No Chill" setting? If so, what are your settings? I'm thinking of setting the "No Chill" to 20 minutes, and hopping accordingly.

I use an ice bath to cool the wort, but I’m a bottler. Today I'll be brewing the Bunyip, with a 30 minute hop stand. Last night when looking at the recipe, I noticed that a “no chill” designation showed up in the header, but it’s not something I consciously selected. I’m guessing that resulted when entering hops additions.

I've noticed an extra lemon like bitterness in some of my recipes using the recipe editor, and recently noticed the "no chill" option to try and account for the extended cool down time I get with an ice bath. It usually takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to get to 70º. Since I started using a floating dip tube with a screen, I generally just add all hops loose, and don't filter them out. I've also been fermenting and serving from the same keg. Do any of you using an ice bath make use of the "No Chill" setting? If so, what are your settings? I'm thinking of setting the "No Chill" to 20 minutes, and hopping accordingly.
If you are getting allot of hop material in the keg, it's possible what you are tasting is a vegital flavor from boiled hops staying in the beer.

I have used ice in my herms system to cool as well. The heat exchanger i use now does as good a job. Boiling to 90°F in about 30 minutes

I use an ice bath and cool at various rates, depending on what I'm looking for from my hops. At 20-30 minutes, that sounds like my times for an ice bath. But, I also cool rapidly to 180 or 160 and add hops and let them sit for 30 minutes, and then finish cooling. Like you, I'm not sure how to figure the IBUs for the various temperatures and soak times. Regardless, I like late additions and soaking hops after the boil and a cool down to 160 or 180. A lot less bitterness, great flavor and aroma. FYI - I find I can get to 180 very fast - Like 2-3 minutes, and 160 not much more. It is the last 80 degrees that take time.

The no chill is literally for no chilling. Ice baths do a decent job, especially at lower volumes. You can try using that option for the extra 20 minutes or so and it will add some IBUs to the recipe prediction, but a lemony bitterness isn't what I'd expect from extra isomerisation time. It's as good a starting point as any though. What hops where you using?

My current beer is no chill. Poured directly from the kettle just after boiling into a food grade plastic container and left in the garage overnight to cool. Then opened the day after and transferred into the fermenter. With no chill the container stays at isomerisation temperatures for a long time, especially if it's a hot day. It's still uncomfortable to hold hours later.

Thanks for the input guys. Lots of variables to consider.

20-30 minutes to go from boiling to 70°F doesn't sound that long. Depending on the time of year, it's in the range of what I get. I wonder if maybe the hop-stand option would be better for flame-out hops that take a little while to cool?

I've been thinking exactly the same ;)
Gonna use this option from now on (after using it for the first time for the Q1-2023 brew)

Back