simple step mash in a cooler

mrkrausman

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is my 1st step mash so I would like to pick some brains about the mash calculator. I am mashing 12.4 lbs of grain and want to end up with a pre boil volume around 8 Gallons. I would like to do a protein rest at 122, sacc at 154 and mash out at 180. Quick water says i need 41 total quarts of water. How do i set this up in the mash calculator? When I punched things in I ended up with too much water. :?

You'll need to start with a very thick mash ratio - say 1.0qt/pound, and then go up from there. Thermally, it might not be possible to achieve what you are after. What you could do is after the 154 rest, batch sparge, and then do the mash out with a fresh infusion.

Mash out shouldn't be hotter than 170F by the way. 180F is hot enough to release undesirable tannins. The water being infused is usually between 180-190F to hit 170F in the MLT though.

I am making Jamil's wit. He calls for the protein rest, others say its not necessary. It is possible to step to conversion with a decoction without adding additional water according to JP. Or just do a single infusion and be done...I haven't decided ;)

For a Wit, I'd skip the protein rest since it's supposed to be cloudy anyway.

Back