Session IPA?

Is this intended to be a Hazy?
I kind of designed it that way though that’s not necessarily the goal. I didn’t go with a water profile used in hazies. I will probably fine it at packaging to clear it up and this yeast clears up pretty well in my experience. Sounds counterintuitive I suppose

Last edited:
I kind of designed it that way though that’s not necessarily the goal. I didn’t go with a water profile used in hazies. I will probably fine it at packaging to clear it up and this yeast clears up pretty well in my experience. Sounds counterintuitive I suppose
I just wondered because of the low bitterness, and the NE yeast. I like you choice and use of hops. Making a session IPA is a tricky thing, the balance is tough to attain. It truly is much easier to balance a 6% beer, there is a wider band to fall into there. I have made a session hazy that turned out great, but the balance there was easier to achieve with all of the flaked, the whirlpool and dry hops. Hazy or not it looks like a nice recipe, interested to hear how it turns out!

I wonder if the pilsner malt will make it too thin, even with the wheat in there. In my experience a session IPA is ruined if it feels more like hop water than a low ABV beer. I've used 2 row combined with Vienna and Rye malt to make a decent session hoppy beer. If I were you I'd try it with Maris Otter for a more full-bodied attempt. Unless you're aiming for a low cal IPA. Those can be tricky to get balanced, but more power to you

I wonder if the pilsner malt will make it too thin, even with the wheat in there. In my experience a session IPA is ruined if it feels more like hop water than a low ABV beer. I've used 2 row combined with Vienna and Rye malt to make a decent session hoppy beer. If I were you I'd try it with Maris Otter for a more full-bodied attempt. Unless you're aiming for a low cal IPA. Those can be tricky to get balanced, but more power to you
Good points! I mainly use Pilsner because it’s the only malt I buy in bulk. I used more honey malt than usual to try to build back some body and color but a different base is a valid recommendation

Good points! I mainly use Pilsner because it’s the only malt I buy in bulk. I used more honey malt than usual to try to build back some body and color but a different base is a valid recommendation
Definitely use the malts that you like! If you want body over sweetness I don't think honey malt will get you there. Maybe some light Munich with your pilsner malt? I've found that low OG beers result in low FG beers that seem thin. So if it were me I'd be looking to add dextrins that add body to counteract that.

Definitely use the malts that you like! If you want body over sweetness I don't think honey malt will get you there. Maybe some light Munich with your pilsner malt? I've found that low OG beers result in low FG beers that seem thin. So if it were me I'd be looking to add dextrins that add body to counteract that.
That all makes sense. Honey malt won’t add dextrins?

Last edited:
That all makes sense. Honey malt won’t add dextrins?
Compared to pale malt? Absolutely!
Again it's just my preference, but I would use a higher lovibond base malt, like MO or light Munich, and have a higher mash temp to build body. It's your beer friend! Do what makes you happy :)

Mashing high might get you outta the woods in regards to body you'll finish higher on the Final gravity if you push the mash temp higher.

Looking good

Thanks all! Well I ended up with some time to brew this yesterday but couldn't make it to the brew store. I ended up going with the posted recipe. I attempted to mash high but must have made a temperature error and ended up around 152F. I'll see how this one turns out and likely adjust with the prior advice depending on if it's something worth doing again. I don't do many sub 5% abv beers so I do anticipate this one to be a little thin. I'm happy that I at least kept the IBUs in check because I don't think this could support a lot of bitterness.

Thanks again.

My very first all grain brew (not kit) was a very nice sessions ipa.
It was meant to be a blonde though, but because I milled the grains way too coarse it became an IPA :D
I'm working on replicating it with proper milling

First addition of dry hops have been added. I figured I may as well take advantage of this yeast's biotransformative properties. I've never used Eclipse so I'm excited to see what it brings to the party.
I did a three Es hoppy blond ale a few years back with Eclipse Enigma Eldorado was tasty not 100% sure what Eclipse contributed though:rolleyes:

Oh don't write this off before it's in the glass remember serendipity often works in your favour :)

I did a three Es hoppy blond ale a few years back with Eclipse Enigma Eldorado was tasty not 100% sure what Eclipse contributed though:rolleyes:

Oh don't write this off before it's in the glass remember serendipity often works in your favour :)
For me it’s usually kind of hard to tell what I’m getting from each hop when I get past 2 varieties. I’m hoping to get the citrus and mandarin descriptors that I’ve seen

For me it’s usually kind of hard to tell what I’m getting from each hop when I get past 2 varieties. I’m hoping to get the citrus and mandarin descriptors that I’ve seen
Amen I'm the same I just choose hops that are gunna fit the description.

Sometimes something dank or piney then something tropical so the dankness offsets the mangoe or pineapple tropical aromas and flavour

Kegged on Saturday. The beer finished @ 1.009 for an ABV of 4.6%. The beer is carbed and is tasting pretty good though it continues to develop.

Right now, my impressions are:
*there doesn't appear to be an issue with thin body or the grist construction. I am happy about that.
*It could actually support more bitterness to give it more an "IPA" feel. Bump up to 40IBU
*Not a big fan of the ester profile of this yeast. Would probably go with something cleaner.
*Has a really nice aroma but overall am surprised by less of an overall hop character than expected.
*I haven't had the best luck with DDH. I think I will stick with one larger dry hop addition toward the end of fermentation

Back