Session IPA

Brewer #237578

Premium Member
Reaction score
How do I record the style correctly for a session IPA? The IPA style guidelines only indicate higher abv brews. Understand it's only a guideline but I like to stick to style if possible. Putting it under pale ale technically is not correct because it doesn't meet the definition of an IPA.

How do I record the style correctly for a session IPA? The IPA style guidelines only indicate higher abv brews. Understand it's only a guideline but I like to stick to style if possible. Putting it under pale ale technically is not correct because it doesn't meet the definition of an IPA.

Specialty IPA (21B) should cover anything in the style that doesn't fit any of the other descriptions in the category.

i drunkenly asked a good while back to be able to add our own styles to the recipe editor that disregards BJCP guidelines, but its probably a can of worms for the mods. i still would like to see custom styles in some capacity

Specialty IPA (21B) should cover anything in the style that doesn't fit any of the other descriptions in the category.

Speciality IPA 21B only has certain designated categories; there should be an open category. One for the developers perhaps..

The official bjcp category for session IPAs is 21B.

From the 2015 guidelines,

"Entrants may use
this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined
by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American
or English IPA) – except where an existing BJCP subcategory
already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA)."

I can follow up with the rest of the BF team if it's possible to add other guidelines, such as the Great American beer fest guidelines, or the Brewers Association style guidelines, both of which include session IPAs, as well as the possibility of custom guidelines.

Back