Seeing [Eye]PA

EvanAltman36

Trial Member
Reaction score
The recipe below is for the first beer I did from my own recipe. I broke in with a Mr. Beer kit and made a Czech Pilsner and then a Mexican beer. I was pretty disappointed in both, a feeling that was compounded when I rushed into making an amber ale with poor technique and no recipe. But I used the recipe builder here and put together an IPA that I just bottled a little over a week ago. Patience is not a virtue I possess in spades, so I cracked open a bottle after only a week, though it was mostly carbed. Wow! I was so pleasantly surprised and had my faith in my home-brewing endeavors renewed. The aroma was all kinds of fruity and floral, the bitterness was perfect, and it finished clean. Loving the feedback on this forum, and the recipe builder tool is phenomenal!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... ing-eye-pa

Great news! On the recipe - nice hops schedule, and interesting choice of yeast.

Just resist drinking the beer so soon, it will get better over the next few weeks, but then the impact from the dry hopping will start to diminish. So wait a bit, but don't wait forever, to enjoy your brew.

Thanks! If I'm being totally honest (and, given the anonymity of an internet forum, why wouldn't I be), that's the yeast I had in my fridge and I was being thrifty. I know, I know, you get out what you put in. But sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and I hit a home run on this one.

I'm sure you don't recall, but this was also the batch that was really active, then slowed and started to clear, then got active again.

It's good to know that S-33 came out alright because I have a few packets of that lying around too. Haven't decided what to do with it yet though.

Also a fan of your hop schedule. This is totally anecdotal but experience leads me to think that there should be an approximate 2:1 ratio between late additions and bittering additions. Your schedule seems to roughly follow that. The hop character of my beers has improved a lot since I started favouring late additions.

Back