Saturday brewday fun......NOT!!!

Bowhunter64

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK so just to set up this story my brewing setup is a 15 gallon 3 kettle setup eventually as I can afford the pieces I'll have a pump but for now it's all manual. I emailed my LHBS to mill my favorite golden ale recipe I always brewed a 6 gallon batch but decided since I had plenty of fermenter space I'd double it. Picked up my grains Friday nite on my way home I was sitting looking over the recipe at home and realized it was going to be a 19 gallon boil ! OK time to think outside the box.if i split the first runnings and the sparge I can use my liquor tank for a brew pot and boil it all down till I can get it all in one pot! About that time my son called and wanted to brew a brown ale and said he'd be over bout noon Saturday! OK no problem I got up early and things were going as planned I got everything boiled down and transferred into 1 boil kettle grabbed the liquor tank and washed it out,picked it up and grabbed the bottom to dump it out, it was then I realized the bottom rim of the tank was HOT!!!! as I was screaming in pain my brew pot boiled over and made one heck of a mess all over the garage!! After all that I made a good dent in the keg of honeywiess I had in the fridge!! Good grief! Lol

Ive been there trust me, chalk that one up to its a learning experience :D

Days like that may be one of the reasons we make beer. We've all been there, the Brew Day from Hell. Sorry it happened, laugh about it, RDWHAHB. And chalk it up to experience.

I know it may seem cruel, but the mental image you described of holding something hot while the pot boiled over made me laugh.
...and yes, it is because I, like most others here, have had similar experiences and can totally empathize with you! :lol:

PS, your online handle (Bowhunter...) makes you doubly empathetic. :)

Well as long as no further catastrophes happen like tripping with the fermenter on the way up from the basement or something stupid it looks as though the brew from hell turned out ok! Gonna keg it next week.

Remember, no matter how bad it is, it could be much, much worse.... Cheers!

Back