Sankey keg

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A friend gave ma a Sankey keg. Is there any way to use one? And how do even clean it?

Unlike Corny kegs, Sanke kegs don't have a removable cover. You need to remove the "spear" (dip tube) using a special wrench (I saw one just now for almost $100), then pump some cleaning liquid (e.g., PBW) through the keg for a little while. This Guy has a good page showing it.

You can also buy various mechanisms to do this more easily, but they are a few hundred dollars typically, without the pump...

For one keg, it's not (IMHO) worth it. But larger Sanke kegs are also available, if 5 gallons doesn't cut it for you.

PSA: If it a brewery's keg. give it back. A keg deposit is not the purchase price. At least get a keg of something and turn this one in instead of leaving a deposit. Lather, Rinse, repeat.

One possible use could be as a metal vessel for something, or as a source of sheet stainless steel. This would involve a saw or plasma cutter though...

Exactly what I figgured when I got it, cost more to use it than a new Corny.

Could cut off the top, instant boil pot

I ferment all my beer in a sanke keg. 2” tri-clamp fit the bung on the keg. Just remove the spear and replace it with this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b...u-BTMelRqKZIOZiP9ZFvnDKWTzgD3uMUaAlucEALw_wcB

I built my own fermters, but this is much simpler. You can clean them with a sump pump in a bucket. I put a 1/2” pvc pipe with a cap. I drilled holes in the top of the cap and put the keg on the bucket upside down. It runs for 20-30 minute with a PBW solution. It works awesome.

A floating pick up tube keeps the beer clear. You can remove the spear with ordinary tools.

Last edited:
I have not fremented in a keg . Thanks for giving me a new idea and yet another rabbit hole to explore.

Ok , if you attempt to make 5 gallons of beer in a keg, won't the pressure regulator gismo just spit krausen all over the floor as it ferments. Or does the pressure suppress the foamy stuff?

Ok , if you attempt to make 5 gallons of beer in a keg, won't the pressure regulator gismo just spit krausen all over the floor as it ferments. Or does the pressure suppress the foamy stuff?
I am sure it will make a mess and ruin your pressure reg in the process

I'm fermenting a lager in a 5 gal keg right now but it is a 2.5 gallon batch. this leaves room for high krausen and hopefully no debris in the spunding valve. Brew a smaller batch for the 5 gal keg.

You can ferment just like any other vessel or you can pressurize the fermentation. You need head room like any other fermenter, but when it’s pressurized it suppresses the krausen. You can ferment 4 gallons in a 5 gallon without pressure, it’s possible to get 4-1/2 gallons in a 5 gallon keg with pressure. Normally you would only ferment lagers under pressure. I make +7 gallons in a 1/4 barrel keg. If yeast gets into the spunding valve, most times it can be cleaned.

How big is the keg?

As has been said, the brewer will often appreciate them back but there are loads of legit ones out there as well.

The spear and fitting can be wrestled out without the special tool but it helps a lot if you do have one. I know a bloke - ahem - who has removed them with a cold chisel, a keg connector and a penny (seriously) to get the failsafe collar out.

They do contain a lot of pressure so be wary and they are not easy to clean. They are robust though and will take lots more abuse than a corny keg.

I saw one that had been converted to distil spirits in last weekend; very clever.

As has been said, the brewer will often appreciate them back but there are loads of legit ones out there as well.

The spear and fitting can be wrestled out without the special tool but it helps a lot if you do have one. I know a bloke - ahem - who has removed them with a cold chisel, a keg connector and a penny (seriously) to get the failsafe collar out.

They do contain a lot of pressure so be wary and they are not easy to clean. They are robust though and will take lots more abuse than a corny keg.

I saw one that had been converted to distil spirits in last weekend; very clever.
Good point about the pressure. Push the silver ball in with a screw driver or something to remove the pressure from the keg. Parts can go flying if you remove the spear under pressure.

Good point about the pressure. Push the silver ball in with a screw driver or something to remove the pressure from the keg. Parts can go flying if you remove the spear under pressure.

I use a fitting if I have to do it. Take all the one way gubbins out of a Sankey coupler, connect some 3/8 beer pipe up and empty/vent it over a grid. The spears are vicious if they come out under pressure, pretty sure that's why the failsafe is there now because they were absent in the 1980s

Oh this sounds like a lot of fun and games for you there @west1m you know I've got a spare keg I use for storing cleaning solutions and such in. It's got a small hold in the lid area but still good for other uses.
It's always handy to have a spare keg to push things around if you need.
But a Sanke keg won't adapt to your coneys.
Good luck interested to see where you go with this:)

It is 19. Liter. Looks like more trouble than it is worth.
Maybe a table lamp...

With a hinged door and shelves inside?

Always interesting to look at the roof of a pub cellar for the marks from someone who forgot to check the pressure of the keg.

sounds dangerous!

It definitely can be. I cut one up and turned it into an anvil stump for my forge.

Back