• Probably Not

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I forgot to sanitize my secondary fermenter (keg) before racking a 14% abv RIS. I also added whiskey soaked barrel staves at the same time. It's going to sit on those staves for about 1 month.

Question is, do i have a problem?

Lucky it was a high alcohol beer I'm thinking itll kill whatever bad bacteria wanna have a crack at it;).

I agree with Ben. Being a high ABV beer reduces the chances of infection, as long as the fermenter was squeaky clean, you should be alright.

^^^That's the real question. What sort of vessel and how well was it cleaned and how exposed to potential contaminants?

I soaked that corny keg in PBW for about 2 hours and rinsed it out 5 or 6 times and set it upside-down to dry out. It sat there like that for about 1 month before I put the RIS in it a couple days ago. Never used starsan on it after it was cleaned.

I soaked that corny keg in PBW for about 2 hours and rinsed it out 5 or 6 times and set it upside-down to dry out. It sat there like that for about 1 month before I put the RIS in it a couple days ago. Never used starsan on it after it was cleaned.
I'd bet you'll be just fine.

It sounds like your cleaning method would have eliminated any colonies of microorganisms in the keg. And storing it upside down would have prevented airborne microbes from settling in. You should be just fine.

Agreed, I'd let it ride and see what you get. Bet it tastes great.

If, after that cleaning, it sat sealed (I generally store mine under pressure), you shouldn't have any problem. It had previously stored (supposedly) sanitary beer, was washed with tap water containing disinfectants, cleaned using a strong alkali.... Would be one tough bug to survive all that.

Back