same beer tasting differant, same batch, differant kegs

Dogwood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had made a ginseng dark ale, 1st in my new 18 gal Spike fermenter. 1st keg had a much stronger ginseng flavor than the second keg. Thinking the ginseng settled down during fermentation and the first keg just had more in it. If this is the case, will the beers from every batch taste a bit different in every batch? If so, what is the solution to make the beers consistent? I have noticed from micro brews I frequent, that the beer flavors differ between batches, not just my taste but my wife notices the same. I suppose I could pump some C02 through the fermenter before kegging and leaving a bit of time for it to settle? Any ideas? Every change in brewing equip bring problems with the solutions! Its going to be interesting when I tap the 3rd keg!! The kegs are all cleaned with acid keg cleaner recirculating it for 10 mins, then star san and thorough rinse. On the new batch in the fermenter now, fermenting under pressure
Thanks

Q1: How did you add the ginseng? I've never used it in brewing so am not familiar with how you'd get it into the beer.

It was Ginseng extract, added it to the beginning of the boil. I think the next time I will add it at the end of the boil. It adds a wonderful flavor to the beer! I have done a couple of batches with fresh and dried ginseng, all came out very well although the extract is very potent so Im thinking it has more of its medicinal property's, at least thats what I choose to believe :)!
Q1: How did you add the ginseng? I've never used it in brewing so am not familiar with how you'd get it into the beer.

What pro brewers do with dry-hopped ales is to rouse the brite tank by blowing CO2 through the bottom and then allowing a day or two to settle. That insures that flavors are mixed.
I don't know why your ginseng extract wouldn't have found an equilibrium and mixed throughout the beer. I'd expect the problem you're having if you used dry ginseng that would sink to the bottom. Either way, though, racking to secondary, clearing, rousing, clearing would be the way to go.
With heavily dry-hopped IPAs, I'll often partially fill each keg and then go back and top up so I get a better distribution of flavors.

What pro brewers do with dry-hopped ales is to rouse the brite tank by blowing CO2 through the bottom and then allowing a day or two to settle. That insures that flavors are mixed.
I don't know why your ginseng extract wouldn't have found an equilibrium and mixed throughout the beer. I'd expect the problem you're having if you used dry ginseng that would sink to the bottom. Either way, though, racking to secondary, clearing, rousing, clearing would be the way to go.
With heavily dry-hopped IPAs, I'll often partially fill each keg and then go back and top up so I get a better distribution of flavors.
Likewise. If it was an extract, it should have been uniformly in solution. That's why I asked the question: I could see differences using a powder or crushed root. The OP is going to have to look for other process differences.

Reactions: J A
Dumb question, but you weren't drinking them side by side? So one was after the other? The older one probably had some oxidative changes due to aging if that's the case.

ya, ext
Likewise. If it was an extract, it should have been uniformly in solution. That's why I asked the question: I could see differences using a powder or crushed root. The OP is going to have to look for other process differences.
It was an extract

Dumb question, but you weren't drinking them side by side? So one was after the other? The older one probably had some oxidative changes due to aging if that's the case.
Nope, I didnt drink side by side, when the first keg was done, promptly taped the second. I dont think it could of been oxidative as I CO2 it in the fermenter and transferred it with co2 pressure and had filled the tanks with co2 before filling with beer. I do taste the ginseng in the second keg, still amazing beer but it has a definitively lower presence.

The flavour will fade over time but yeah it's hard to say with any certainty.

Back