saison

windy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,
Just done a 20 litre BIAB Saison brew , It stopped fermenting after 3 days .I checked the brew with my hydrometer it read 1.000 which means theres zero sugar left ( I think ) .
My question is how long should I leave the brew in fermenter befor bottling, I normly leave it in for a full week including fermenting time, should I leave in for longer ?
bearing in mind I live in Thailand ,so keeping the brew cold while fermenting is difficult to say the least ,I m thinking about buying a small chest freezer to use for my fermenting .
regards
windy

Last edited:
Hi All ,
Just done a 20 litre BIAB Saison brew , It stopped fermenting after 3 days .I checked the brew with my hydrometer it read 1.000 which means theres zero sugar left ( I think ) .
My question is how long should I leave the brew in fermenter befor bottling, I normly leave it in for a full week including fermenting time, should I leave in for longer ?
bearing in mind I live in Thailand ,so keeping the brew cold while fermenting is difficult to say the least ,I m thinking about buying a small chest freezer to use for my fermenting .
regards
windy
Have you taken final gravity readings 3 days in a row? That will let you know when it's done. Cheers

I leave my saisons for about 4 weeks. Just to be sure :)
I got my fermenter(s) in a not working chest freezer, just to level out day/night temperature fluctuations.

Typical rule of thumb is to leave it in the fermenter twice as long as it took to ferment. So 3 days, leave it for another 3 days at least.

You can leave it for much longer as well, but I think you'd rather drink it sooner? :rolleyes:

I'm never surprised when someone tells me their saison finished in 3 days or less. As far as leaving it in there goes, I've heard the "twice as long" statement before and I'm not necessarily a fan of it. Once yeast has eaten all the sugars it turns around and starts on some of the more complex compounds. Most importantly Diacetyl and Acetaldehyde. For most beers, I like a minimum of 10 days before cold crashing and clarifying. In your case I would personally stretch that because you don't have the fridge to cold crash in. If you want a nice clear saison, I wouldn't bottle/keg* before 2 or 3 weeks. Patience is your best friend when it comes to beer.

So, I'd also like to talk about the cooling from your other post. I am a HUGE Belgian guy. I've worked for a Belgian-style brewery here in the US. This maybe the only style/country I will say this about. Stress out the yeast and you will get better flavors. I pitch saison and abbey strains at 100F/37C and I underpitch the recommended cell counts. Normally, you want to reduce stress to reduce off flavors. Well Begian/French beers are all about those off flavors and you want to help them along.

*I no longer do secondary, it is through back to the days of bad yeast and is unnecessary in most cases today.

I am a HUGE Belgian guy. I've worked for a Belgian-style brewery here in the US. This maybe the only style/country I will say this about. Stress out the yeast and you will get better flavors. I pitch saison and abbey strains at 100F/37C and I underpitch the recommended cell counts. Normally, you want to reduce stress to reduce off flavors. Well Begian/French beers are all about those off flavors and you want to help them along.
There is hope for me :D
Got a Belgian ale (M47) on the go at an estimated 34 oC. But most likely an overpitch as it went on old trub.
That batch is bottled and carbonating at the moment. Hope it comes out well

I'm never surprised when someone tells me their saison finished in 3 days or less. As far as leaving it in there goes, I've heard the "twice as long" statement before and I'm not necessarily a fan of it. Once yeast has eaten all the sugars it turns around and starts on some of the more complex compounds. Most importantly Diacetyl and Acetaldehyde. For most beers, I like a minimum of 10 days before cold crashing and clarifying. In your case I would personally stretch that because you don't have the fridge to cold crash in. If you want a nice clear saison, I wouldn't bottle/keg* before 2 or 3 weeks. Patience is your best friend when it comes to beer.

So, I'd also like to talk about the cooling from your other post. I am a HUGE Belgian guy. I've worked for a Belgian-style brewery here in the US. This maybe the only style/country I will say this about. Stress out the yeast and you will get better flavors. I pitch saison and abbey strains at 100F/37C and I underpitch the recommended cell counts. Normally, you want to reduce stress to reduce off flavors. Well Begian/French beers are all about those off flavors and you want to help them along.

*I no longer do secondary, it is through back to the days of bad yeast and is unnecessary in most cases today.
Thank you for your information, i will take on what you said very helpful
regards
windy

Given your experience with Belgian brewing, you're probably the right person to ask as I ponder a saison for my next batch: How much should I worry about diastaticus? I've read a lot about it and I don't know how much to be concerned. Help!

I brewed one. I want to do another at some point. I did a lot of research previously.
If you have not done one before, and you have access to liquid yeast, go with the French Saison strain. It will eat everything, and ferment very dry. I thought it was reasonably forgiving.
Mash low. You want fermentable sugars. I used Candi syrup, but I really didn't need it.
When I fermented mine, I started in the high 60s F for a couple of days and eventually ramped up to 74 in the refrigerator using one or two-degree increments.
A Saison will change a lot as it ages. Ferment for two weeks, bottle or keg, and give it another couple of weeks with the cold crash. I hated mine after two weeks in the bottle. I loved it after four.
You will need some sturdy bottles for carbonation. Belgians are usually highly carbonated. I think I only went to 2.8 on my carbonation with priming sugar. Just make sure your bottles are not going to blow up.
There are some really good articles online about this style and some good YouTube videos.
Sorry, missed that this was an old post. Maybe someone gets some useful information though.

I brewed one. I want to do another at some point. I did a lot of research previously.
If you have not done one before, and you have access to liquid yeast, go with the French Saison strain. It will eat everything, and ferment very dry. I thought it was reasonably forgiving.
Mash low. You want fermentable sugars. I used Candi syrup, but I really didn't need it.
When I fermented mine, I started in the high 60s F for a couple of days and eventually ramped up to 74 in the refrigerator using one or two-degree increments.
A Saison will change a lot as it ages. Ferment for two weeks, bottle or keg, and give it another couple of weeks with the cold crash. I hated mine after two weeks in the bottle. I loved it after four.
You will need some sturdy bottles for carbonation. Belgians are usually highly carbonated. I think I only went to 2.8 on my carbonation with priming sugar. Just make sure your bottles are not going to blow up.
There are some really good articles online about this style and some good YouTube videos.
Sorry, missed that this was an old post. Maybe someone gets some useful information though.

No worries. I resurrected this post, and I need all the help I can get!

No worries. I resurrected this post, and I need all the help I can get!
Things I forgot: Recipes will vary a lot, but Belgian beer is yeast driven and usually simple. Your base is generally Pilsner. I used a fair amount of wheat in mine as well. Use Noble or English hops in general. My recipe is in my BeerSmith program, and I don't have access to it right now.
I almost blew up my Single the first time I used Belgian yeast. Anything Belgian gets a blow off tube on the fermenter.

Things I forgot: Recipes will vary a lot, but Belgian beer is yeast driven and usually simple. Your base is generally Pilsner. I used a fair amount of wheat in mine as well. Use Noble or English hops in general. My recipe is in my BeerSmith program, and I don't have access to it right now.
I almost blew up my Single the first time I used Belgian yeast. Anything Belgian gets a blow off tube on the fermenter.

Thanks. I will be prepared!

I might change it up a little the next time, and I initially didn't know my beer was going to ferment down to 1.002 (no, not a typo). So probably a little Vienna next time instead of Candi Syrup. Maybe, playing with the timing on the hops.
Original recipe was 76% Pilsner 8% Candi Syrup 16% White Wheat. Saaz & East Kent at 25IBU as bittering hops, Wyeast 3711. I pitch high and used 2 smack packs.

I used mangrove jack m29 and that one also ends real low.
I did a couple batches with the same yeast (pitching on trub), 100 % pilsner, just playing with hop.
I need to brew some more of them ;)

Back