Robobrew Equipment Profile + Metric = FUBAR Water Requirments?

MiffytheGhost

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I just picked up a Robobrew so i could do some brewing indoors during the winter regardless of temperature.. The Robobrew is programed to work with Celsius and I'm Canadian so i figured it was a sign to end the insanity of using imperial measures.

I set up an equipment profile (which i have double checked a few times now), converted an old recipe into metric and set out my brew day.. now however, the brew day calculator is telling me I need a boil volume of 40L (10G) for a 21 L (5.5G) batch when my evaporation rate is about 2 l/qt an hour and I'm using 5.5 Kg of gain... Total insanity...

What have I missed??? Or what do i need to reconfigure to correct this?

***EDIT**** I mindlessly entered the equipment profile values from a video on the RoboBrew profile for Brewers Friend by the Electric Brewery... The video converts the imperial values to metric, but does not take into account the differences between volume and weight measurements which throws off both your mash thickness (too little) and your hop absorption rates.. I set the mash thickness to 3.2 L per KG and the set the hop absorption to the default.. 0.005..****

Last edited:
I don't know- I'm no math whiz and I'm metric challenged and I have no idea about Robobrew. BUT I will find out from people smarter than me, and maybe someone here on the forum has an answer as well.

I will let you know ASAP once I get some ideas from @avantassel on how to help you get set up.

Thanks Yopper! After looking over the the 'Water Requirements' tab closely the problem was clear--it said i needed 17.5 liters for hop absorption.. . The values given by the Short Circuited Brewers video on the Robobrew equipment profile for Brewers Friend were very incorrect... I notified them and it doesn't seem like they are going to correct the error considering they basically told me to go use a profile from someone that deals primarily in metric. (Gash Slug/Cellar Dwellers from AUS)... Perhaps this is a topic for a future blog post.. just so the correct information is out there somewhere in the world.. That said, thanks for the response and thanks for all the work you put in around here...

Thanks Yopper! After looking over the the 'Water Requirements' tab closely the problem was clear--it said i needed 17.5 liters for hop absorption.. . The values given by the Short Circuited Brewers video on the Robobrew equipment profile for Brewers Friend were very incorrect... I notified them and it doesn't seem like they are going to correct the error considering they basically told me to go use a profile from someone that deals primarily in metric. (Gash Slug/Cellar Dwellers from AUS)... Perhaps this is a topic for a future blog post.. just so the correct information is out there somewhere in the world.. That said, thanks for the response and thanks for all the work you put in around here...
I would second going off gash slugs advice his attention to detail in the robo brew is pretty in depth and from watching his brewing videos he has that rig dialed in to a T. Like all things brewing sometime is trail and error and suck it and see;).

Back