RIMS System

nflamedrash

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use a RIMS System? If so, did you purchase a complete system or build your own?

I ask because I am having our detached garage rebuilt and I am sectioning off part of it for the Brewery. I have looked at the Blichmann products and the SABCO products and both are in the 6K range and neither have a CIP(clean in place option).

Money is important to me so I don't want to throw it away but this hobby is also important and after 20 years I want to do this right if I make a change. If you were to start over today how would you build your brewery assuming Quality was most important, 10 gallon batches were the standard and easy clean up was necessary? You don't want to waste money but you have a little to spend. The space will be 12 FT by 8FT with floor drain, deep sinks, large chest freezer (current fermentation chamber) and a keg refrigerator. I also have SS shelves on casters to place along one wall.

Today I use the following equipment:
(2) 7.5GAL round coolers, one with a false bottom. 10 Gallon batches push the limits and I frequently make a mess when stirring the grains.
(1) tall burner Blichmann capable of bringing 15 gallons to a boil in 30 minutes
(1) Immersion chiller - Stainless Steel 50 feet.
(1) 8 gallon boil kettle with 1/2 inch valve
(1) 20 gallon boil kettle with 1/2 inch valve
(4) 6.5 gallon glass fermenters
(4) 5.5 gallon glass fermenters
(8) Kegs
(2) 5# CO2 tanks
(1) pH meter (electronic)
(1) o2 setup with SS stone
(1) Refractometer (not worth the money paid)

Other thoughts:
Would you vent the room and brew indoors? Currently I brew on a screened in back porch.

Yes I have this with 20 gallon kettle and a 25 gallon boil kettle, I can do 10 or 15 gallon batches and as for the rims, Ill never go back, its a little tricky to not burn the element up at first but, you have to keep the pump running even after the power is turned off for a bit.

I built mine my self

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/rims18_cam.htm

Thanks Ozarks. If I can ask, do you feel the quality of your homebrew improved with the addition of the RIMS? I made great leaps forward with quality when I added temperature control years ago, again with yeast starters, then pH management and again with adhering to detailed process and documentation. If I can make another leap by better controlling the mash temperature then I am on the right track. Increased efficiency would be a bonus but not a reason for changing alone.

I know you said you would never go back so you are happy with your system, but how long does it take you to clean everything up? I do not use pumps or RIMS or hoses today and I am about 4.5 hours beginning to end.

The cleanup takes a while, I had pumps and hoses already and already did a recirculation with the element in the bottom of the pot but turned out it wasn't the best way because of the possibility of scorching the grain.
I do not clean excessively after the brew day, I clean some but instead I run boiling water through the whole thing for 15 minutes right before I do a mash, this cleans all the remaining sugar through the hoses and pump and also the rims tube

I’ve gone all electric with a control box, it’s made a huge difference and yes it has improved my beer and the main thing that’s changed is a perfect temperature for as long as I want and also the recirculation gives me more sugar and a clearer mash, and most of all I can walk away and leave it for the mash and the boil since i have it programed already

I will tell you the investment was bigger that I would have thought, were talking thousands not hundreds for my set up but you can get away with as little as 500 for a rims hoses a pump and camlock fittings

Thanks again, good information.

I am not rich but I did sell my old favorite truck and now have good chunk of money to invest in the new brewery. I am trying to decide the best way to go without spending more than I need, without taking on a project above my skill level and without buying something I think I "need" only to find out a couple of months later I do not use it. The electric setups are nice I just have no idea who has a good product. The SABCO unit is nice and it feels like it is in line with my skill level https://www.brewmagic.com/brewing-systems/brew-magic-v350ms-system.

Thanks again.

I'm a do it your selvfer I love to build and create, built about 10 systems, ill show picks soon of my new set up, its a rims

Back