Rice

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I’ve never used rice in a beer. I have lagering capabilities. Does anyone have a favorite? I wouldn’t mind trying something.

Do you like rice in a beer? Could do a Japanese lager, or do a Sorachi Ace hoppy lager with rice. just spitballing..

Doesn’t have to be overbearing. Budweiser has rice in it. But I wouldn’t mind a Japanese Lager either. I’m not big on really hoppy beers though.

I did a fair bit of research coming up to brewing Ozarks Blondie and of course stumbled upon references to the big American larger producing companies Budweiser and Millers is it:rolleyes: anyhow one of em uses rice the other corn and or both anyhow what I took out of my research on adjuncts being (unmelted grains including barley and wheat) is that rice and corn thin the mouthfeel giving you a more refreshing light taste and colour to your lager. Adjuncts like unmalted barley actually aid in Bodie and unmalted wheat is great for both body and head retention. I also read of South Africa using Sorgum in their larger that got me super interested in trying a partial sorghum brew just for kicks:D.

other than this I've got no hard brewing experience sorry Jeffpn give me three weeks and I'll have a taster ready....:p

My favorite use is in a Cream Ale. I've used it in an IIPA to lighten the malt backbone with good results as well.
Depending on the % of use, you may need to up your efficiency though.
Brian

Just substitute 10 to 20 percent flaked rice (Minute Rice will do ) or flaked corn in any recipe. I use a good Czech Pilsner malt and corn for my Cream Ale and I've used my local Pale Ale malt and rice. Keep it simple 2-Row or Pilsner, Rice, noble hops, clean ale yeast or non-finicky lager yeast. Throw in 5% Vienna or light Munich if you want more malt flavor a little bit more blonde color - straight Pilsner and adjunct gives me straw-pale beer.
I mash fairly low and throw in a dextrine rest, 148F and 158F, or you can mash a little higher. You could even just throw in about 2% Carapils if you're concerned about getting body, but I've found it isn't an issue and no Cara-Crystal malt of any sort is necessary.

Back