Reusing Brett

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by jfancelet, Aug 19, 2018.

1. jfancelet

jfancelet New Member

I made a 5 gal batch of a saison recipe that I've made before. let it go week in primary with Wyeast saison yeast. Then I added orange peel, oak, and coriander to a secondary with Brett B. Its been there for a month and I'm prepping to bottle it in the next few days. Thinking of repeating that recipe and pitching fresh wort directly onto the yeast cake once I transfer the original batch to the bottling bucket. Anyone think this is a good idea? Bad idea? Will there be enough saison yeast in there? Too much Brett? Off flavors? Opinions appreciated.

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Try it and see, best advice I can come up with. Too many variables to make a good prediction.

3. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

The second batch will have much more Brett character since it will be in from the beginning.

4. White Haus Brews

White Haus Brews Active Member

Nurse
    My semi educated guess is it'll make a noticibly different beer but that doesn't mean bad. This is pretty relevant to what your asking about: brulosophy.com/2018/05/14/mixed-fermentation-combined-vs-staggered-microbe-pitch-exbeeriment-results/

Good luck

5. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

I'm surprised how clean brett is when I use it in primary fermentation. No idea, but maybe the saison yeast will out compete the brett and you'll need decent age to see the brett come through. Will be interesting to find out how it actually goes.

White Haus Brews likes this.