Removing limescale of Element.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday brewers got the kettle out today to brew and this is moi Element
20230318_115338.jpg

I thought oh gee a bit of build up on there.
I think it's lime scale or?
The water is pretty low in bicarbonates here which is what I believe would cause the whitish looking build up on the element.

Now I can remove it and give it a good scrub
Or can I just clean in place

Maybe some barkeepers friend or I do have some pool hydrochloric acid I could water Down 10:1 and soak the element in that for an hour...

A bit extreme that's how I clean my chlorinator on the pool...

Anyhow might be a useful discussion for electric brewing and how to clean your elements from time to time.

I usually just clean in place after brew day or next day after transfer with Brew cleaner Sodium percarbonate heat this till 50c and recirculate while I give everything a good scrub with plastic scrubbing brush then it's a hot rinse after this.
Storage is upside down air dry all valves open.

Plain household vinegar works well
Just white vinegar & water.
Bring to a boil
Let stand
And Bob's your uncle :)

(I don't have any build up of lime, but in town, it's really bad)

Plain household vinegar works well
Just white vinegar & water.
Bring to a boil
Let stand
And Bob's your uncle :)

(I don't have any build up of lime, but in town, it's really bad)
Probably a good practive every few brews to keep the buildup from becoming more difficult to remove.

Let us know what you do and how it comes out Ben

I have used CLR product. Soak 10 minutes and shines like new.

Fur the most part, I cip with pbw after a brew and never an issue

Gday brewers got the kettle out today to brew and this is moi ElementView attachment 24684
If it's hard and stuck on, yep, it's lime scale. You can chip it off some with a wooden wedge, but don't, the element won't like it.

Hydrochloric Acid is a bit harsh, it eats the element with the lime. The vinegar is a good idea, but go easy on the scrub, you don't want to have to buy a new one every year.

Gday brewers got the kettle out today to brew and this is moi ElementView attachment 24684
The water is pretty low in bicarbonates here which is what I believe would cause the whitish looking build up on the element.

Now I can remove it and give it a good scrub
Or can I just clean in place

Maybe some barkeepers friend or I do have some pool hydrochloric acid I could water Down 10:1 and soak the element in that for an hour...

A bit extreme that's how I clean my chlorinator on the pool...

Anyhow might be a useful discussion for electric brewing and how to clean your elements from time to time.

I usually just clean in place after brew day or next day after transfer with Brew cleaner Sodium percarbonate heat this till 50c and recirculate while I give everything a good scrub with plastic scrubbing brush then it's a hot rinse after this.
Storage is upside down air dry all valves open.

Some vinegar in the dishwasher works well on the heating elements, and throw in any any glassware getting spots. The coffee makers recommend a 50/50 solution of vinegar for cleaning the elements. Likely the safest bet.

I have used CLR product. Soak 10 minutes and shines like new.

Fur the most part, I cip with pbw after a brew and never an issue
Cool yup that's my process this elements probably 60 brews on I've just noticed it's started to show up lately.

Looks like it'll be getting some vinegar soak 50/50

Thanks all:)

Cool yup that's my process this elements probably 60 brews on I've just noticed it's started to show up lately.

Looks like it'll be getting some vinegar soak 50/50

Thanks all:)
That don't look too bad for that many then.

Really just about any diluted acid and a soak will work.
You could even put old star San in the pot and let it sit for a long time.
Then just a gentle brush and you should be good to go.

Really just about any diluted acid and a soak will work.
You could even put old star San in the pot and let it sit for a long time.
Then just a gentle brush and you should be good to go.
Well you'd know better than me Brian I'm just asking for advice thankyou.

Back