Refractometer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by ltrog, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ltrog

ltrog New Member

I am in the constant state of upgrading my equipment to improve my process. I am a BIAB brewer and want to procure a refractometer. Are all refractometers created equal in that I should simply go for the cheapest one I can find? If not, can someone recommend a brand/model # and shop as to where I should purchase?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    they are not all the same, if you going to buy one buy a good one with with automatic temp compensation

Milwaukee MA871 Digital Sugar Refractometer with Automatic Temp Compensation, Yellow LED, 0 to 85 percent Brix, +/- 0.2 percent Accuracy, 0.1 percent Resolution

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Refract ... B007Z4IN58

A review from a fellow brewer

otherwise a cheap $25 one will work fine you just have to baby it

http://www.amazon.com/0-10%25-ATC-BRIX- ... B000K312Q8

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I use the El Cheapo version with good results. Just make sure it's for beer - this one looks to be a refractometer for measuring coolant for CNC machines. Look for one in both Brix and specific gravity in case someone in your family gets the winemaking bug....

4. PZ

PZ Member

I've been thinking of getting one also. The ones I've seen that say they are intended for homebrewing usually have a range of 0-32 brix. Is this the correct range? Also, I've read Larry's old blog and looked at the refractometer calculators. Apparently the brix reading has to be adjusted by a wort correction factor, which would make an SG scale on a refractometer useless. "The wort correction factor is specific to the instrument" according to http://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor. It would be great to hear more from someone who has successfully used a refractometer. Thanks!

5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

My "El Cheapo" has both scales. I use the Refractometer on brew day, the hydrometer for all other measurements. Even on brew day, I take my "official" OG using the hydrometer but when I cross-check, the readings are 0.001 apart. Good enough for me. Later in the process you have to apply the correction factors because alcohol has a different index of refraction than water.

6. ltrog

ltrog New Member

Thanks everyone! You are all sure a big help. This is a great forum and I certainly appreciate having multiple experts to help me improve my processes.