Refractometer

ltrog

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am in the constant state of upgrading my equipment to improve my process. I am a BIAB brewer and want to procure a refractometer. Are all refractometers created equal in that I should simply go for the cheapest one I can find? If not, can someone recommend a brand/model # and shop as to where I should purchase?

they are not all the same, if you going to buy one buy a good one with with automatic temp compensation

Milwaukee MA871 Digital Sugar Refractometer with Automatic Temp Compensation, Yellow LED, 0 to 85 percent Brix, +/- 0.2 percent Accuracy, 0.1 percent Resolution

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Refract ... B007Z4IN58

A review from a fellow brewer
This product falls into one of those categories - it is something that you should have, but can't justify spending more money on a lab grade piece of equipment. There are too many other things that I need in brewing beer, and my hydrometers work rather well. The problem with using a hydrometer is the wasted beer. How much easier it is to pull several drops from your fermenting beer than to drain it into a test jar and then pitch it. After reading a lot about digital refractometers, I settled on this one.

To begin with, this is a precision instrument. After it arrived, I quickly assessed that a carrying case was definitely needed. Having it packed into a padded case allows me to sleep well every night. The instrument arrived in great condition, packaged really well. READ THE DIRECTIONS. Although you might think it is easy, take 5-minutes out of your precious time and read the directions. It might not reveal anything that you do not already know, but it does allow you to rest assured that when you take the reading the proper way, and clean the pan after each use.

It is also important to understand how Brix is different than OG/FG is different than Plato. If you use this instrument as it should be used and treat it as a precision instrument, anyone who brews beer should find this produce one of the best investments they make on any piece of equipment.

otherwise a cheap $25 one will work fine you just have to baby it

http://www.amazon.com/0-10%25-ATC-BRIX- ... B000K312Q8

I use the El Cheapo version with good results. Just make sure it's for beer - this one looks to be a refractometer for measuring coolant for CNC machines. Look for one in both Brix and specific gravity in case someone in your family gets the winemaking bug....

I've been thinking of getting one also. The ones I've seen that say they are intended for homebrewing usually have a range of 0-32 brix. Is this the correct range? Also, I've read Larry's old blog and looked at the refractometer calculators. Apparently the brix reading has to be adjusted by a wort correction factor, which would make an SG scale on a refractometer useless. "The wort correction factor is specific to the instrument" according to http://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor. It would be great to hear more from someone who has successfully used a refractometer. Thanks!

My "El Cheapo" has both scales. I use the Refractometer on brew day, the hydrometer for all other measurements. Even on brew day, I take my "official" OG using the hydrometer but when I cross-check, the readings are 0.001 apart. Good enough for me. Later in the process you have to apply the correction factors because alcohol has a different index of refraction than water.

Thanks everyone! You are all sure a big help. This is a great forum and I certainly appreciate having multiple experts to help me improve my processes.

Back