Refractometer Question

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I should get a refractometer.
The prices vary pretty drastically, there are a half dozen on amazon.ca that are $16 Canadian ($12 US), they range up to $130 or more. For my purposes, brewing once a month, is a $16 unit all I need?
TIA
Craigerrr

I have a $17Cdn refractometer that I bought off ebay, and as near as I can tell it is exactly the same unit my LHBS sells for $75. I have never had an issue with the one I bought, and it seems to agree perfectly with my hydrometer.

The $16 unit will likely function just fine but you get what you pay for. Watch the calibration - every once in a while put a drop or two of distilled water on the stage and make sure it's still reading correctly. I'd shoot for the middle of the range and make sure it has temperature compensation!

I only use the refractometer for pre boil and post boil testing it helps to make adjustments if needed... I use the hydro to compare with the refractometer also to get my post fermentation FG if need be... I wouldn't spend more than $25 on the refractometer it just isn't necessary for home brewing... IMHO

Makes sense, thank you

I've eyeballed the Tilt a time or two. Looks a fun piece!

Yeah, they are nice, it's convenient to be able to get gravity readings whenever you like without taking samples.........saves beer too ! :)

Tilt looks kind of cool, but then, with my refractometer and correction spreadsheet, I can get a very similar looking curve by testing once per night. I decided it was kind of like my microscope and cell counting: Kind of cool a couple times, then meh.

I picked up a fairly cheap one and it's been working well after I learned how to use it. Couple things to keep in mind:
1) after fermentation starts it's only accurate when combined with a calculator. BF has one in their tools section.
2) each refractometer has a slightly different correction factor which you'll need to determine to be most accurate.
3) plan on using your hydro and refractometer together for awhile until you are consistently matching OG and FG.

Definitely worth having in my opinion but did take a little more finagling with than my "almost" idiot proof hydrometer :p

I'm thinking that I should get a refractometer.
The prices vary pretty drastically, there are a half dozen on amazon.ca that are $16 Canadian ($12 US), they range up to $130 or more. For my purposes, brewing once a month, is a $16 unit all I need?
TIA
Craigerrr

I got a 20 dollar one off ebay and it works a treat, I double checked my first few brews using it and a standard hydrometer and both cracked out the same figures. I only use my refractometer prefermentation as I cant be bothered doing all the maths etc working out the alcohol reflection.

Excellent information guys, thanks!

Back