Refractometer not calibrating

Kelly Waters

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an RHB 0-80 analogue refractometer that does not want to calibrate today. I've looked for tips elsewhere online, but the calibration steps aren't solving my problem. When I put a few drops of distilled water on the plate and point towards the sun, there is no null line: instead the orange goes all the way to the bottom, past the 0 point on the scale. My calibration screw lock just keeps turning around - it doesn't lock. In the past, when the calibration has been off I've been able to tighten/loosen the calibration screw and that has worked. Help!

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

Doesn't sound promising unfortunately. I don't have any useful advice for you though, my last one got stolen before I had it long enough to have any issues with it.

Oh wow. Okay thanks. Anyone else out there have better news? Thanks, Hawkbox.

Oh wow. Okay thanks. Anyone else out there have better news? Thanks, Hawkbox.
Sounds like the adjustment screw might be stripped or the refractometer is defective. The adjustment doesn't move the "line", the blue area above the white, or whatever color your refractometer gives, it adjusts the scale position up and down, in essence, moving the null point (1.000) to the line. Try it again and if you're not getting a "line", something is wrong with the refractometer, likely not repairable. If you get a "line", just move the scale using the screw to line things up.

Would you like my refractometer? I don’t use it anymore. ;)

Would you like my refractometer? I don’t use it anymore. ;)
My address is 24232 E Alamo Dr, Aurora, CO 80016. Having a backup would be nice....

Back