Reconfigured the Brewery

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Tx Ale Works, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Texas Ale Works

Texas Ale Works Active Member

So, over the last few years I have been changing up the configuration of my brewery,
    Went from 3 vessel eHERMS, to a counter top Brutus 20, to a single pot eBIAB, now we are back to a 2 vessel countertop Brutus 20 with RIMS.

This will allow me to scale batch size. Smaller 5 gallon batches can be done with just the RIMS, larger batches can be done by using the Boil kettle as the overflow and the heating element can be used to maintain mash temps. (I hope that comes across clear)

In either case, I will be doing full volume mashing, with no sparge, understanding the hit in efficiency with his process.

My main question is:

Do I use All Grain or BIAB as the brew method when dealing in my system?

Thanks

T

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I always used all grain for my bib set up but you can create a recipe in both rename one and see the differences, one thing you'll need to do first is reset up your losses

3. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

I never even thought that picking BIAB under general was anything more than auto picking the BIAB from my equipment profile.

I do what I guess you'd call a batch sparge for my BIAB, should the general setting be changed? Is there somewhere on here that explains how the software does it differently for BIAB vs all grain?

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

BIAB is generally set up as a no-sparge process but the good news is you'll only need to calculate and change your brewhouse efficiency in the Profile.

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    it changes the water requirements to full volume and I think the efficiency is calculated less

6. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

That might explain why the water Calc always seemed really off. I'll have to fiddle with it a bit, good reason to brew this weekend

Thanks!

7. Texas Ale Works

So, I got everything mounted and got on the hoses in place...everything is looking good for the wet test tomorrow. This is designed for full volume mashing.

I am pretty excited about the new system and layout, it is a very flexible set-up.

For 5 gallon batches, I can use the RIMS tube to maintain mash temps, recirculate in the mash tun, then pump over to the boil kettle that has a 220v 5500w heating element in it.

For larger batches, I can cross circulate between the mash tun and boil kettle, using the BK element to maintain mash temps.

All I need is a few small parts and some more hose, but that is just to make it easier to manage, not needed to run as is. Also, a 3rd temp probe to in the BK to help monitor temps when I am using it to heat/maintain mash temps.

Pics tomorrow.

8. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    yes great to hear, I wish I lived near by I have all the parts you might need at the house, I have to sell off a bunch of stuff before winter

9. Texas Ale Works

The stuff I need is just so I have dedicated hoses for each configuration. A few 90's and some silicon tubing.
    Other than that, I currently use a 12" domed false bottom, but I am thinking about moving to a 15" or 17" one from one of the 2 bigger brewing equipment retailers, that I think have merged into one super Walmart of homebrewing.

10. Texas Ale Works

Pics

Attached Files:

11. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    nice, like the wood too, Im a wood man my self, I just cant help it worked with it too many years to use metal lol

12. Texas Ale Works

Still needs a coat of paint!

13. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

I call BS OMB :)
    I've seen your pics and you have a retirement fund of stainless fittings in your brewery haha