Recirc and mash thickness

crzyfool

Trial Member
Reaction score
When calculating the water to grain raito I'm trying to achieve 1.50 qt/lb. If I'm recirculating my mash will the liquid in my pump and hoses bring this ratio down? If so where can I enter losses to make up for that BF?

When calculating the water to grain raito I'm trying to achieve 1.50 qt/lb. If I'm recirculating my mash will the liquid in my pump and hoses bring this ratio down? If so where can I enter losses to make up for that BF?
No. You'll lose wort. Treat it as a miscellaneous loss in your profile.

I've had good luck just using the water volume indicated by the mash thickness ratio and not worrying about how much is in the HERMS coil as opposed to the tun. The only time it comes into play is in the dough-in/protein rest which I tend to do at a very thick ratio. That extra half-gallon can make the difference between a stuck sparge or clean flow, even though I have a 15-gallon system and the relative amount in the hoses/coil is fairly low. For that reason I tend to go over .8 qts/lb to start rather than the .75 I used to use before my HERMS system.
When it comes time to sparge, I empty the hoses and coil completely so I don't get any system loss there.

I'll be honest I don't pay any attention to water numbers on my herms system, I have my site glass marked for my end of boil, I add water 3 inches above the grain bed for mashing, the only thing I have to watch is the start of boil or end of sparge amount and that only changes when boiling longer, it's marked also at 60 so I'm dialed in so to speak, but on the recipe I choose 1.65 to be close

Back