Recipe to try azecca hops

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going simple.
Screenshot_20211116-152958.png

Nice. I bet the honey and subtle tropical notes will work well together. Are you planning on a long lager?

Nice. I bet the honey and subtle tropical notes will work well together. Are you planning on a long lager?
Not really. Between the batch I just bottled and the five left from my previous batch I'll be getting into this one in five weeks or less.

Looks tasty honey should dry it out some i believe interesting yeast choice maybe try some calcium sulphate to really get them hops singing and notch up that crispness if that's where your steering

Looks tasty honey should dry it out some i believe interesting yeast choice maybe try some calcium sulphate to really get them hops singing and notch up that crispness if that's where your steering
I'm only doing an easy extract batch to see what flavor and aroma I'll get from the hops. The honey is mostly to get the O G up a bit without having to buy more extract.

I'm only doing an easy extract batch to see what flavor and aroma I'll get from the hops. The honey is mostly to get the O G up a bit without having to buy more extract.
Cane sugar can do the same thing cheaper again:).

Just brewed my first all grain batch, a wheat beer and used Azacca in the last five minutes for aroma and didn't really notice the Azacca in the final product. Only used two ounces. Being my first batch, I didn't want to over hop it. Used Tettnang as my primary hop with Mango Jack Hefeweizen yeast. My grist was 60/40 wheat with British Golden Promise and it was the first time I used my new grain mill. Initial specific gravity was pretty low, so I don't think I set the right gap for the wheat. I didn't have any DME to bump it up, first batch is what it is.

I have made a couple batches of Azacca pale ale, and like the second batch better, where Azacca made up 75% of hops bill, with equal parts Citra and Mosaic making up the balance. Recently I read that Azacca has no place as a boil hop, and should be used for hop stand, whirlpool and dry hop additions only. Since I still have a hefty amount of Azacca, I’ll be doing some more beers featuring such.

I have made a couple batches of Azacca pale ale, and like the second batch better, where Azacca made up 75% of hops bill, with equal parts Citra and Mosaic making up the balance. Recently I read that Azacca has no place as a boil hop, and should be used for hop stand, whirlpool and dry hop additions only.
Where did you read that and what was the reasoning?
At 12.2% I think it makes a good choice for boiling.

In my opinion a more cost effective way to bitter is with Magnum.
The flavor and aroma attributes of Azacca are wasted when used as a bittering addition.
In my opinion...

Get some DME, make a quart of wort, boil the Azzaca, no flavor addition, ferment it and see if you like the result. It's an easy way to test an idea.

At this moment, I don’t recall where I read that, but I’ll look into it when home after work. It was kind of puzzling, given that Azacca is listed as dual purpose. In the 2 beers I’ve brewed with Azacca, I have not found strong aroma or flavor, so maybe I just haven’t used enough.

Back