Recipe OG calculations are estimating very high

Old skewl

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have noticed recently that my OG estimates in my Brewersfreind.com recipes have been very high. I have double checked my water amounts and my efficiency percentages. As an example, I brewed an IPA over the weekend. The recipe had about 15.25 lbs of grain. It was giving me an OG of 1.091 and I plugged it into the free calculator on the site and it gave me 1.072. I acheived 1.070. I even reviewed some recipes online to compare and most 14-15 lb recipes came in around 1.065 - 1.070. I realize everyones efficiency varies but 1.091 is way off. I also have started doing 2.5 gal batches and those numbers are even further off. What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have noticed recently that my OG estimates in my Brewersfreind.com recipes have been very high. I have double checked my water amounts and my efficiency percentages. As an example, I brewed an IPA over the weekend. The recipe had about 15.25 lbs of grain. It was giving me an OG of 1.091 and I plugged it into the free calculator on the site and it gave me 1.072. I acheived 1.070. I even reviewed some recipes online to compare and most 14-15 lb recipes came in around 1.065 - 1.070. I realize everyones efficiency varies but 1.091 is way off. I also have started doing 2.5 gal batches and those numbers are even further off. What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.
What are you using for a brewhouse efficiency in the tool?

In my system, 15 pounds might yield .075 or so.

For a beer this size I use 70%. Bigger beers I’ll drop it to 60%.

Using 70% gave me an OG of 1.094. I dropped it to 60% and it gave me an OG of 1.091.

For a beer this size I use 70%. Bigger beers I’ll drop it to 60%.

Using 70% gave me an OG of 1.094. I dropped it to 60% and it gave me an OG of 1.091.
Can you make the recipe public and share a link? Easier to troubleshoot.

I'm guessing it may be a glitch. I just created a new recipe(same ingredients) using both of my equipment profiles and at 70% efficiency I got a 1.073 OG and at 60% efficiency I got 1.063 OG. Weird!

Replied in other forum thread.

Back