Recipe help

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a local brewery that makes a Gameday IPA. Their web site only provides the grain bill and hops used so figured I would try and clone it.
Here's the info:
ABV: 4.3%
IBU: 42
Pale
Pilsner
Carapils
Munich
C60

Hops:
Simcoe
Amarillo
Mosaic
Warrior (assume this is their bittering hops)

Would I split the pale and pils 50/50? Carapils for head retention I assume so that would probably be 5% or less. Munich under 20% and C60 probably 5% or less.
As for yeast, I'll probably go with 1056 since I have some harvested jars on hand.

Thoughts?

honestly, i haven't had a tin roof beer i've liked, gameday might be my least favorite, hops taste way too muddy, and the beer seems really thin...

anyway, sounds like you've got the grains down, i couldn't get the recipe builder to get it at 4.3%, always coming in around 4.75%, shouldn't be a huge problem.

I would bitter with warrior and simcoe, late additions with amarillo and mosaic, or also bring simcoe to the end of the boil instead of bittering. dry hop it too with some of those flavor hops if you like.

caution don't use more than 1/2 pound carpils in a 5 gallon batch, it thickens the mouth feel too much if you use 1 pound

oliver said:
I would bitter with warrior and simcoe, late additions with amarillo and mosaic, or also bring simcoe to the end of the boil instead of bittering. dry hop it too with some of those flavor hops if you like.

That's about how I'd handle it.
I like Simcoe for middle additions to add to the bittering component. I don't know anything about the beer you're shooting for, but I'd use a small amount of Warrior at 60 and leave plenty of IBUs to be able to add some Simcoe at 20, Amarillo at 10, Mosaic at 5 and throw in plenty of each for flameout and dryhop. Simcoe and Amarillo are really awesome together in any combination and Mosaic will bring a lot of juicy flavor to the late additions.

oliver said:
honestly, i haven't had a tin roof beer i've liked, gameday might be my least favorite, hops taste way too muddy, and the beer seems really thin...

anyway, sounds like you've got the grains down, i couldn't get the recipe builder to get it at 4.3%, always coming in around 4.75%, shouldn't be a huge problem.

I had 1 Game Day IPA last year on draft- at an LSU game. It was HOT and I thought it was a decent beer. Maybe it was because I was in need of a drink.

Maybe I'll try another one before going out and making a batch.

Nola_Brew said:

Regardless of what the original beer is like, you've got the makin's for a fine recipe there. Just some formulating and tweaking and build your own version of an IPA using those ingredients. If you didn't want to use 4 hops, skip the Warrior and bitter with a little Simcoe.

Nola_Brew said:
oliver said:

I had 1 Game Day IPA last year on draft- at an LSU game. It was HOT and I thought it was a decent beer. Maybe it was because I was in need of a drink.

I've never had it on draft yet, just from a can in NOLA. I'll need to suck down a draft sooner or later.

Back