Recipe help

rredefynd

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Im in the early stages of trying to understand all grain (biab) brewing,
Iv found a recipe that looks good, but the problem I have is,
1 when I input the data in to the calculator (using brewers friend) the numbers don't quite add up (Abu tinsmith/ srm Daniels/Mash ph don't match or are marked as too high)
2 I can't figure out how to adjust the recipe for a smaller batch sizes
3 also could someone double check I have worked out the correct water chemistry, because the recipe builder is telling me the mash ph is too high?
4 and I was also considering changing the hop schedule ( change the 1st hop addition from 60mins to maybe 20?) as iv read using citra hops at 60 mins is a bad waste of good hops!
Heres the original recipe for you to see:-
Citra Pale Ale Recipe
Batch size: 5.5 gallons Boil Size: 7
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 5.64%
IBU (tinseth): 36.05
Efficiency: 70%

Malt
11 lbs. 2-Row (90%)
.75 lbs Crystal 40L (6%)
.5 lbs CaraPils (4%)

Hops
Citra AA% = 12
Cascade AA% = 6

.5 oz Citra (60 min)
.5 oz Citra (15 min)
.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
.5 oz Citra (0 min)
.5 oz Cascade (0 min)
.5 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Yeast
WLP001 California Ale yeast
Mash at 154F. Cool to 66F and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68F

And as for my water profile, I'm planning on using bottled waster and have used their analysis on the side of the bottle to input into the calculator.
ca=55. Mg=16. Na6. Cl=11 SO=28. Alkalinity(barcarb)=240. Ph=7.4
So apparently according to the results for a pale ale I need to use- CRS 65.7ml /Gypsum 8.09grams /Epsom salts 1.3 grams. Unfortunately the recipe builder doesn't recognise CRS as an additive so i thought this could be the reason for the ph result being too high??
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post, and all input is greatly received
Rhys

It's much easier for everyone to reference things if you just post a link to the recipe. Following the whole thing in text form is unwieldy.

For smaller recipe, use the "Scale" option under the "Recipe Tools" dropdown. Yes, using Citra for the 60 minute addition is probably not the best use and it's also a harsher bitter than some other hops. Use Cascade or get some Magnum.

I wouldn't obsess over water chemistry, especially for a Pale Ale, if you're just figuring out the all-grain process. Get the mash PH right and go from there. Most brewers keep the water additions pretty simple. I use acidulated malt for mash ph, gypsum and calcium chloride to get the water profile numbers into the right range and lactic 88% for sparge PH. Getting mash schedule, yeast pitch, fermentation temp, sanitation, packaging, etc right will have a much bigger impact on beer quality. When you have all those things nailed down and consistent, you can drill down on water to make improvements and go to the next level.

J A has pretty well covered your 4 points. I'd just add a few less specific things. Differences between your equipment and procedure and those for which the recipe was written can, and generally will, produce differences in results. This applies as far as the numbers as well as the final product.

Hop utilization will vary with boil temperature(altitude), boil intensity and how long the wort takes to chill, just to name a few.
Understand that even if you match the numbers in the recipe, chances of reproducing the beer on your first try are somewhere between slim and none. With that said, if the numbers are anywhere close, you'd probably do just as well running with the original quantities.

Hey thanks for your reply’s, really appreciate your help/ advice:)

Hey thanks for your reply’s, really appreciate your help/ advice:)

No problem. That's what these forums are all about. We all get help here and try to give some in return.

Here, here!

Back