Re oxygenate wort???

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #51620, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Brewer #51620

Brewer #51620 New Member

Is it ok to re oxygenate the wort? It's been 27 hours since the initial brew but I don't believe I oxygenated enough because the airlock has zero activity at all. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    no never oxygenate after it ferments unless you add more yeast for a stalled batch, check the ending gravity it should be in the range 1015 to 1010 in most common beers

3. Brewer #51620

Brewer #51620 New Member

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'll let it go and take gravity readings.

4. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

27 hrs w/o activity isn't unusual. Especially if you are fermenting at the lower end of the temperature range for a yeast or pitching a bit low, be patient, things will get going. ;)

5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Twenty seven hours isn't out of the question. I oxygenate with pure O2 and sometimes it takes my yeast a day or so to start so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that aeration is a problem, or even that you have one. Do you see krauesen, the foamy yeast on top of the beer? If so, your beer is fermenting and your lack of airlock activity is likely a leaky stopper or bucket lid. If you take a gravity reading and it's less than your OG, your beer is fermenting. But I'd caution against reoxygenating: Introducing oxygen after a day or so into fermentation just shortens its shelf life and increases the chances of staling.