Randomly trying to make a Rauchbier Recipe

Well you went with a good yeast choice for a "dry" er lager I think.
Mashing high will create more dextrines which the yeast will be less inclined to munch on and turn into alcohol co2 infused fairy farts.
Crystal malts are there that will also help I'm wary of adding too much to Lager beer just a personal thing though it just tastes out of place sometimes is all.
But I ain't brewed a Rauchbier before.
That's smoked right?

Rauchbier is a dark lager with smoke. A little Caramunich and Carafa for added color and flavor is all you need besides a mix of Pilsner malt and smoked malt.
When you say the build is too sweet, do you mean you've brewed this and it tastes too sweet? The type and amount of malt can contribute to that. You're asking for 2 different things, though. The FG that's in the recipe is proper for the style and would make it more dry and less sweet, if you get less attenuation and keep the FG higher it's going to seem more sweet, not less.
If you've brewed this beer with this malt and you like that much smoke, great. If you haven't, I'd advise starting with a lot less and working up until you get a mix that you like.

@Trialben Yeah, it's a smoked lager, that should have some deepness to it. Bacon tasting, but not greasy. I've only had one once in my life when I lived in Germany while visiting a monastery. The first few sips I was pretty confronted, but by the end of the glass it was all I wanted lol. Also, good point about the crystals, I'm forgetting there won't be any hop profile really.

@J A, That's a great point about the Caramunich or Carafa, I got caught up doubting myself and looking at other peoples recipes instead of going with what I thought in the first place. I was thinking Caramunich 2 with just a tiny bit of Carahell, maybe give it a syrup taste to the bacon?

Also, the only reason I went with that much was because that's what the articles I read used, I'll drop it down to like 75% of the grain bill, and something simple maybe pils to fill the rest and then the specialty malts?

Thanks for the help guys!

Go out and find yourself a Schlenkerla Rauchbier - I believe they call it their Marzen - and try it.... It's heavily smoked, tastes of bacon and a sweet roll, it's a wonderful beer experience. That's what you're trying to do. There's nothing subtle about it, just a punch of sweet, smoky goodness. If I were to do one without looking it up, I'd start at 50/50 Rauchmalz/Munich Dark, throw in a bit of Carafa for color, noble hops to around 25 IBUs, about a 6% ABV, lager yeast, cold fermentation and a good long lagering period. Or look up a clone.

I think @Nosybear has your number. If it's a big beer experience you're after, then the Munich will give you a lot of nutty, toasty, malty sweetness to go with the smoke. As I mentioned, unless you've used that particular malt, be wary. Even if you think you want it heavily smoked, going too far will make an undrinkable mess if you use something that's really strong.

I think @Nosybear has your number. If it's a big beer experience you're after, then the Munich will give you a lot of nutty, toasty, malty sweetness to go with the smoke. As I mentioned, unless you've used that particular malt, be wary. Even if you think you want it heavily smoked, going too far will make an undrinkable mess if you use something that's really strong.

Yeah, I just talked to my LHBS, and they said the Manuka is a pretty strong malt, so I'll either use much less, or a different smoked malt.

Back