Rack again?

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a pilsner lagering now for 2 months. There is about 1" of trub. Is there any benefit to racking again or is it best to let it be until I bottle?

Lagering for two months? Why? For a pilsner, a month is generally good enough. And has it been on the yeast cake all this time?

If the beer is still cloudy, go get some isinglas, clear it up and package it. It ain't going to get any better with more time. I've lagered up to three months.... for an 8% doppelbock. Your beer's done, man! Enjoy it!

Did you rack it originally after primary fermentation? That is a lot of trub to have in the secondary.

Either way - I think you are good to bottle.

Racking question - I notice that my secondary brews seem to carb more slowly than primary only. Would the secondary reduce yeast levels, slowing carbonation?

Krimbos said:
Racking question - I notice that my secondary brews seem to carb more slowly than primary only. Would the secondary reduce yeast levels, slowing carbonation?

Makes sense.

It may be you're packaging early as well - still a lot of yeast in suspension. But if it's working for you, don't worry!

By racking the beer, you're taking the beer off the yeast cake. I'd also assume it's in secondary longer; therefore, less yeast in suspension. Less yeast in suspension would mean slower carbonation. I've bottled some very clear lagers without additional yeast and they've carbonated fine, but slowly. The only time I've added yeast is a Pre-Prohibition Lager that I clarified with isinglass. To know for sure, you should split a batch - rack half of the beer and leave the other half alone. Bottle both at the same time and see if there's a difference in time to carbonate. But in reality, as long as the beer is carbonating, don't worry about it.

it is in secondary, clear as a bell. Guess I will bottle.

Back