Quick water requirements have gone bonkers

Brewer #64496

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The required mash water for Monday's brew shot up by 5.7L overnight following the latest BF update.

All my historical recipes seem to show the boil volume or mash volume to now be way too high, showing a warning in QWR. The water requirements I used previously based off the old water calculator were fine.

I've just created a new 25L recipe and the QWR are just way out. It's telling me that at 2.5L/Kg strike water ratio for 5.14Kg grain, I need 26.9L strike water and a total of 38.6L total mash water which just doesn't look right. This is actually more like 5.2L/Kg strike water so I've no idea where it's getting that from.

At the moment I'm currently unable to figure out how much water to use at all. I used to be able to look at the total water required for a recipe and set my own strike and sparge water volumes, however now all the initial QWR figures are way out I can't set any mash or sparge routine.

Am I seriously misunderstanding something following the new update? Please help!

----------------

Edit: I added a vlaue (40L) to the "Mash-Tun Volume" field in my equipment profile which seems to have sorted the erroneous strike water calcs.

Still getting some strange warnings about boil size in some recipes.

Last edited:
Thanks for reaching out and reporting any issues you may be experiencing.

If you check the changelog, there were many updates, and corrections to issues that were occuring in the QWR calculations. Some were issues, and some were just a mindset shift on how we are approaching the water calculations. Historically, the QWR only showed what would be used as a starting point, regardless of the actual recipes entered boil volumes and mash steps, or mash thickness in the recipe. As such there were many discrepancies, and issues that may have been present between the recipe, and the equipment profile were not being identified, so I'm not at all surprised to see differences between what was there and what is now being calculated.

I'm unable to reproduce this, at least within your latest recipe for Red Ale 25L, however, using both the mash thickness value or the "add QWR" features results in a 13.18 strike volume in both the mash guidelines, and in the QWR results.
upload_2022-1-26_19-53-22.png

upload_2022-1-26_19-52-41.png

If you can provide anymore information on how/when the volumes you're seeing don't line up with the mash thickness please reply and we will investigate further.

@Brewer #64496, regarding the warning that's still present,
upload_2022-1-26_19-56-31.png

This is occurring because the volume estimated into the fermenter is 25.16, is greater than the recipe batch size (25L). This is likely because you've used the same preboil and postboil volumes that are typical/standard for your equipment, and are not taking the 0.16L loss during the boil due to hop absorption which will vary from recipe to recipe. If you use the "calc" button, this should adjust the preboil and postboil volumes accordingly and slightly tweak it which should remove the warning.

upload_2022-1-26_19-57-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-26_19-55-49.png
    upload_2022-1-26_19-55-49.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 40

Back