Quick batch to try willammette hops

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed this recently; turned out good.
Screenshot_20210922-210514.png

What'd you think about the Willamette?
I liked it. I can understand why a lot of people use it in dark beer, but it can definitely be used in lighter beer.
I tried willammette because I'm considering growing hops next year and according to some locals it grows pretty good here.

Willamette gives great balance to beer styles that aren't notably hop-forward like Belgians, browns, bitters and blondes but can still shine when utilized as a flavor/aroma hop in a traditional IPA or American Amber.

I had never thought to try Wilamette in an American wheat beer, mostly because I associate it with an English sense of beer styles. To be fair, I've also never brewed with more than 20% wheat more than a handful of times (usually with German ingredients but sometimes with Centennial or Cascade).

Wilamette is a go-to hop for me in conjunction with Centennial or Cascade for "throwback" pale ales at all stages of the boil. I was not surprised to find that combination used in some of my favorite groundbreaking US pale ales from the 1980s.

For English style browns, bitters and stouts I tend to order English Fuggles because, while of similar origin, the growing conditions and generational changes make English ales taste more authentic with UK Fuggles rather than substituting related American hops like Wilamette.

That said, I think it's great that you gave this unique wheat beer combo a chance and shared it here.

Last edited:
I had never thought to try Wilamette in an American wheat beer, mostly because I associate it with an English sense of beer styles. To be fair, I've also never brewed with more than 20% wheat more than a handful of times (usually with German ingredients but sometimes with Centennial or Cascade).

Wilamette is a go-to hop for me in conjunction with Centennial or Cascade for "throwback" pale ales at all stages of the boil. I was not surprised to find that combination used in some of my favorite groundbreaking US pale ales from the 1980s.

For English style browns, bitters and stouts I tend to order English Fuggles because, while of similar origin, the growing conditions and generational changes make English ales that substitute UK Fuggles for related American hops like Wilamette.

That said, I think it's great that you gave this unique wheat beer combo a chance and shared it here.

I'm a Fuggles fan myself, I've also use Willamette with good success

I've used it in pale ale years ago i enjoyed it but havnt used it since.
It looks like JAs using it in his Irish Red so looks like I'll be getting a taste in the near future:)

Back