questions on a saison recipe...

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Growler18, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Growler18

Growler18 New Member

So, I'm brewing a saison today using a recipe I made up from scratch (extract with steeping grains). I'm going to be using both bitter orange peel and coriander seeds for the first time. Couple of suggestions needed...first, I am planning on adding both in the last 10 minutes of the boil, is this enough/too much time? Secondly, I plan on using 1 oz of both....enough/too much? And last, should I use a small bag or just toss them into the boil? Many thanks in advance!!!!!

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Your time seems about right to me.

If I were brewing that, I would use a hop bag for the orange peel and seeds. That stuff really clogs my chiller and siphon tubes. That's my experience.

3. wolfie7873

wolfie7873 Member

How large of a batch?

An ounce can be a lot for those types of additions. 10 minutes is OK. 5 is better. Use a bag.

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Agreed on the 5 minutes. I don't add spices to my saison but that sounds like a good starting point for both. Rehydrate the orange peel if you're using dried, be sure to crush the coriander, I've never needed bags for them but that's not to say it wouldn't help. Good luck with it!