Question on Late Addition -- Fermenter and OG

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping someone can provide a tip on how to work my math out for this... we made a braggot on Saturday and I held the honey back as a late addition, selected the "fermenter" option in the drop down. I liked the way the system held the points out of the math, brew day went fine. Now I've added the honey and see a big spike in gravity, expected... is there a way to update the brew session to reflect the additional sugar I added and reflect that in the OG or at least in the expected ABV?

I can work the math out on paper, and I can edit the recipe to change the timing on the addition and trick the number that way but looking for a way (if possible) to reflect it in the actual brew data.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reaching out Jason!

Unfortunately at the moment this is not something the brew session is able to support, but I do have a ticket in place to add this functionality. I'm not entirely sure whether the OG will remain, since it's defined as the gravity read before yeast pitch, or if it will increase due to the fermentation additions. If so we will need to revisit how the fermentation late additions work to include them in the OG for consistency.

However the ABV will be corrected once we get to this update. As far as working it out by hand it's straightforward, just add the total gravity points divided by fermentation volume to the OG points.

Example:
OG = 1.050
Current SG = 1.020
Batch size = 5.5 gallons (Either from brew day complete brew log entry, or recipes estimated batch size)
late:FermenterPoints = 1lb * 42 = 42 points => 42/5.5 = 7.6363 => 7.6363/1000 = 0.00763636

og + late:FermenterPoints = 1.057636

Current ABV:
ABV = 5.08% (current alternative formula)

With update:
ABV = 6.17%

Guys as always I appreciate the prompt response!

I'm not sure how often folks are using this option-- it was the first time for me, but if this beer turns out exceptional I'll definitely do it again.

Back