Question about "Mash Guideline" in BF

johow440@gmail.com

Trial Member
Reaction score
In the recipe editor in the block titled Mash Guidelines, there is an amount input field. What is this for? I had assumed I would put in my full mash volume (doing BIAB), but after I did that, the software changed my value so I am now confused.
Thanks

you need to pick your type of brewing first then go down and change the mash, every type of brewing resets the forms

I had BIAB selected as my brew method, is that what you mean?
I'm working on another recipe now and input the full volume of water there and it appears to be working now. Probably just a rookie misunderstanding. Is there somewhere, an online guide to using the editor?

I assumed it meant the "mashing rate", or what volume of water you're using in the grain mashing step. It's usually around 1.5qt per pound of grain, then divided by 4 to get gallons. So, 1.5/4*18lb = 6.75 gal of water for my batch I brewed last night. Is that close to what the faq page said..? I didn't read it yet.

In my case, I'm doing a full volume BIAB so I guess I'll use the total water used in the brew. Or just leave it out as the water requirements are listed elsewhere under the tools menu.

Back