Question about hops

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just want to know a little bit more about what flavours and aroma certain hops leave behind when using as A 60 minute bittering hop. Was considering using Citra as a bittering hop. Would that leave me with any of the dank fruitiness.

I have found that a 60 minute addition leaves little to no flavour behind.

Don't waste Citra at 60. I wouldn't put it in anything before 20 minutes from flameout. It's best in whirlpool. Besides, it can leave some nasty harshness at 60 minutes. For bittering think smooth flavor, high AA and versatility. Most batches of IPA or Pale Ale only need a small amount of bittering because of the amount of late hopping. For Lagers, Blondes, Bitters, etc you don't need a lot of IBUs total so the amount is pretty small there, too.
Like Ozark, I like Magnum for most stuff though I use Warrior for IPAs or Pales to get a little touch of piney character in with the bittering. There are dozens of other varieties that are perfect for bittering and blend well with just about any other hops.

Thanks boy's/girl's, this is why I love this forum.
What I'm looking for is a Dank Dank affect (read on another forum that Citra would do it at 60......didn't believe it so ask the no-ego BF people) I have been using Columbus cause it is cheap in our area (Western Canada) and I like it.
@Trialben on a side note just kegged my house Mango Milkshake NEIPA.....the raw product is solid as usual and will be good to go in 24hr!

Columbus should be at least as dank as citra. Probably costs less too. You could try Chinook as well.

Reactions: J A
Just want to know a little bit more about what flavours and aroma certain hops leave behind when using as A 60 minute bittering hop. Was considering using Citra as a bittering hop. Would that leave me with any of the dank fruitiness.
Simple test: Make up a bit of extract wort, boil it with the hop for 60 minutes, ferment it and see what's left. Or make a hop tea boiled for an hour. I've done it with Magnum - it leaves a bit of a minty flavor and aroma.

Absolutely Columbus for dank!!
I like Columbus/Centennial as a base for dank/fruity profile with Simcoe, Mosaic.Citra or dank/piney/citrus flavor with Chinook/Simcoe/more Centennial and Columbus. I still use a "neutral" hop for bittering since I tend to use a pretty good 20 minute addition of those character hops that packs in some IBUs along with strong flavor contribution.

These guys are smarter than me. I am terrible for knowing how something is going to turn out.

Back