Question about grain bill percentages

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Sunfire96, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Sunfire96

Sunfire96 Well-Known Member

Stay at home girlfriend
    Hello! The amounts of grains in the fermentables section is confusing me. Below I have set a goal of 1.053 OG, with 90% LME, 7% caramel 40, and 3% carapils. The amounts calculated are:

upload_2021-7-21_8-31-54.png

But when I remove my goal to change the amount of grain, the percentages are different than above. For instance, I changed the LME addition to 3.3 lbs (the amount of one "tub" sold at my LHBS), and suddenly the LME is 84.5%, caramel 40 is 10.7%, and carapils is 4.8% and the OG becomes 1.055:

upload_2021-7-21_8-33-44.png

If I input the values below without using the goal function, it spits out yet a third set of values and percentages for the grain bill (which I'm inclined to think is the correct one of the three options):

upload_2021-7-21_8-25-33.png

So what's going on here? Am I doing something incorrectly? Admins the recipe is called Castennial 15 and it is not set to public. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. Thanks! :)

2. Pricelessbrewing

Pricelessbrewing QA Software Tester
    Staff Member

@Sunfire96 this has been an ongoing issue, we have an update coming to remedy this.

In short when designing a recipe, the standard agreement is that % is by weight.

When doing the calculations for OG scaling via the "GOAL" feature, we're using % of fermentables of % of OG, can't remember if kettle additions for example are scaled the same or not, and that's what's shown when goal is on. If you save and go back I think it should go back to normal percentage by weight.

After the update, the % of fermentables/OG won't be shown, so you only ever see % by weight.

Herm_brews and Sunfire96 like this.
  3. Sunfire96

Sunfire96 Well-Known Member

Stay at home girlfriend
    Okay, thanks for the information! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy :)

Herm_brews and Pricelessbrewing like this.