Question about grain bill percentages

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! The amounts of grains in the fermentables section is confusing me. Below I have set a goal of 1.053 OG, with 90% LME, 7% caramel 40, and 3% carapils. The amounts calculated are:

upload_2021-7-21_8-31-54.png

But when I remove my goal to change the amount of grain, the percentages are different than above. For instance, I changed the LME addition to 3.3 lbs (the amount of one "tub" sold at my LHBS), and suddenly the LME is 84.5%, caramel 40 is 10.7%, and carapils is 4.8% and the OG becomes 1.055:

upload_2021-7-21_8-33-44.png

If I input the values below without using the goal function, it spits out yet a third set of values and percentages for the grain bill (which I'm inclined to think is the correct one of the three options):

upload_2021-7-21_8-25-33.png

So what's going on here? Am I doing something incorrectly? Admins the recipe is called Castennial 15 and it is not set to public. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. Thanks! :)

@Sunfire96 this has been an ongoing issue, we have an update coming to remedy this.

In short when designing a recipe, the standard agreement is that % is by weight.

When doing the calculations for OG scaling via the "GOAL" feature, we're using % of fermentables of % of OG, can't remember if kettle additions for example are scaled the same or not, and that's what's shown when goal is on. If you save and go back I think it should go back to normal percentage by weight.

After the update, the % of fermentables/OG won't be shown, so you only ever see % by weight.

@Sunfire96 this has been an ongoing issue, we have an update coming to remedy this.

In short when designing a recipe, the standard agreement is that % is by weight.

When doing the calculations for OG scaling via the "GOAL" feature, we're using % of fermentables of % of OG, can't remember if kettle additions for example are scaled the same or not, and that's what's shown when goal is on. If you save and go back I think it should go back to normal percentage by weight.

After the update, the % of fermentables/OG won't be shown, so you only ever see % by weight.
Okay, thanks for the information! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy :)

I have a question about percentages too. @Pricelessbrewing
Is it possible to exclude additions such as oat husks or rice hulls (that don't add to the "Fermentable" calculations) so that the percentage is more relevant to the actual production of fermentable wort?
Just an idea....
These should be ignored during the GOAL feature after the update, but otherwise will continue to show as a percentage when designing a recipe as that is displaying % by weight. I suppose we could ignore fermentables with 0 PPG if desired? @Yooper thoughts?

Is it possible to exclude additions such as oat husks or rice hulls (that don't add to the "Fermentable" calculations) so that the percentage is more relevant to the actual production of fermentable wort?
Just an idea....
That would be cool and useful

Just an idea....
Can 0 ppg fermentables have an option to exclude them from the weight percentage shown? That will satisfy both sides.

Back