Pumpkin Beer :~{

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I bent to pressure today and brewed a pumpkin spiced ale today.
I'm not really a fan of spiced beers and each year end up brewing 1 for others.
It got me out of bed this morning at 4:50 am thinking about how I could make something for others that I actually like.
I put together a completely new recipe and method to attempt to achieve this.
Brew day went smooth and I hit all my targets.
1.057 OG
24 IBU
5.7 SRM (Morey)
77% Brew House efficiency

Time will tell.
Sorry for the rant!

So here's the question....
Do you like pumpkin spiced beers and what is your favorite and why?
In my neck of the woods, Southern Tier Pumpking seems to be the most well received.
Brian

personally I'm very old school and like the old simple beers, I dabbled with all kinds of new stuff but it wasn't my thing, but to each their own and good luck, hope it works out

Last edited:
I don’t like pumpkin spiced beer, but, I make it for my wife. It fulfills the contract that allowed me to build my 6 tap keezer. One of the taps always has to have a request of hers on it.

I don't like pumpkin spice anything around this time of year. Give me store bought pumpkin pie and a dollop of whipped cream and that's as far as I'll go

Like others, I've tried brewing 2 for other people. They liked the first one, second batch is still conditioning.
Even when I try to brew it to my tastes, I still don't think they're anything special

I like them but only in the fall, and I liked them before it was cool to have pumpkin spice everywhere. Each year I buy 2 bottles of Pumpking and have one the current year and let the other one sit for a year. But my latest was a the pumpkin spice ale kit from Austin Homebrew and it turned out pretty good. Pumpkin spice can be smelled and it's light on the taste so it doesn't just overpower everything.

Brewing a Pumpkin Spiced Latte Stout in a couple weeks. Gotta love the name even though there's no pumpkin in it, just the spices typical of a pumpkin pie..

If you leave out both the pumpkin and the spice, I rather like them. Come to think about it, you could leave the pumpkin in and I'd be all right with it.

Like any spice, you can overdo it. We did a pumpkin beer tasting last year (and will again this year ugh), and i had plenty that were way overboard to me

Like any spice, you can overdo it. We did a pumpkin beer tasting last year (and will again this year ugh), and i had plenty that were way overboard to me
I haven't tasted a Pumpkin beer that I really like yet. But this recipe uses pumpkin spices, not pumpkin. Yep, the name is misleading.

I used carrots in my last one.
And I used only pumpkin in a saison a while back, got the spiciness from a high fermentation temp
If I'm going to do, it'll be my own way dammit!

Back