Problem with Grainfather controller display and mash temperature

Plaisantl

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello !

I have inherited an old Grainfather. The boiler and the pump are working quite well, but I have difficulties to maintain the temperature during the mash. I am wondering if it is linked with the message "off" displayed on the controller (see the picture attached to this message).
I still can set the mash temperature. But the message "off" appears, then the temperature, then the message etc... I don't know how to fix this... Does someone know what it means and what's the solution ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
Ludo

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 274
Not sure, I don't know how you get an "old" grainfather but I'm a bit jealous.

Not sure, I don't know how you get an "old" grainfather but I'm a bit jealous.
^^I said old because it doesn't have the connect control box that exist since 2016. It belongs to a good friend who has started his own brewery, he doesn't use it anymore. So yes, I'm a bit lucky. ;p

I have the connect systems so probably not much help, but have you tried the reset button on the very bottom of the unit? You'll have to turn the unit on its side or upside down to access the switch. Doubt that's the problem but worth a shot. Are you using an extension cord that's under rated maybe? You'd probably have more luck with an older Grainfather on the Grainfather site or Facebook group page. Facebook group it's very helpful for the most part, it you can ignore some of the worthlessness comments.
Is this the US version?

I've searched this out and haven't seen anyone that gets this resolved unless it's under warranty. Since you're out of warranty you have nothing to lose by taking things apart to see if you possibly have a bad connection someplace. I would also make sure your temp prob is properly inserted. Try a hard reset. Other than that, sounds like the controller is probably toast.

Back