Problem with Final Gravity

jackryan

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Today I used the "Scale" option for the first time to scale a 6.5 gallon batch down to 5 gallons. Prior to doing this, I proactively copied the 6.5 gallon recipe and named it "[Recipe name] - 5 gal" as I didn't want anything bad to accidentally happen to the recipe. I'm glad I did, as the scaled version of the recipe has an abnormally high FG that I can't seem to correct.

Help!

Recipe ID is 226074 (for site admin).

Hi Jack, I think this might be due to our new calculation adjustments based on mash temperature. It looks like you have the primary infusion mash step set to 170 degrees. I see in the description that it should be 155, but the actual value in the temperature field is 170, so the calculator is using that as the temperature of your mash. At that temp, the fermentability of the wort would be severely reduced, so it winds up calculating the final gravity much higher. Can you try adjusting that temperature down to 155 and see if it helps?

Josh,

I like my enzymes to prove themselves in really tough environments! j/k :)
I figured I had been misusing that box in the application, but until this point it had no negative ramifications.
Your explanation makes sense and I'm sure that will fix the issue.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Back