Pre Pro Lager

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Sandy Feet, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Minbari

Minbari Well-Known Member

fuel hauler
    Unless you find a lager strain designed for that high temp, i would stick with mid 50s. You want it to ferm slow. Unlike an ale that will be done in 4 days, it can take 2 weeks for a lager. You don't want the fruity esters that an ale produces.
    As for the D-rest, i would do it. Fermentation is done by then, you don't want a nose of sulfur.

As for bottling, i never bottled a lager. No help there, but after 2-3 months, prolly wouldn't hurt to add some fresh yeast for carbonation

2. Sandy Feet

Sandy Feet Well-Known Member

I pretty much get it. The only things that still bother me seem to be the pitching temperature and the possibility of adding yeast before bottling.
    I am in Florida, and I might get a little luckier during the winter, but normally my wort will not chill below 78F with the chiller. My water isn't that cold down here. Looking at some calculators, it would take somewhere in the 4-hour neighborhood to drop the temperature in the fermenter from 78 to 55 if the refrigerator is set to 40. I am bordering on fermentation at that point. With the ales, dropping 10 degrees when set at 67 or 68 doesn't seem to hurt. With lagers, I don't know. I hope I will be o.k. doing this as the yeast does want to be pitched above 68 per the manufacturer.
    At bottling, I read about adding something like an S-05 as a slurry. I am assuming that the fermenter would need to be warmed to around 68 the day before. I also hope that a slurry would mix evenly to the bottling bucket the same as the priming sugar, but I don't know. I assume with the lack of fermentables, I would not have bottle bombs. At this point, I am only planning a 4-week cold crash. Over that period of time, would the yeast still be healthy enough to bottle? I don't know what the cutoff time might be.
    I might pick some other brains this week. I have plenty of time to research.
    I know that I felt much better when I started brewing to have all the steps in my head first so I could relax and not panic on brew day. That is what all the questions are for. Thanks again for the insight and keep it coming.

Minbari likes this.
  3. Sandy Feet

Upon during some more reading, John Palmer states that you can lager/ do the cold storage in the bottle after it is carbonated. That would relieve one major headache for me.

4. HighVoltageMan!

HighVoltageMan! Well-Known Member

If you think your yeast has dropped out too much or you want to speed things up a bit, add a little dry yeast at bottling. A quarter pack or so of S04 or US05 will work just fine. You can bottle condition in the upper 60's without any trouble, this will also speed up the carbonation.

5. Minbari

fuel hauler
    You can, but you will get more goo in the bottle. Just pour slow

6. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    When I bottled I fermented cold then bottled it. Let the bottles carb 2 weeks then out in the fridge for lagering

Sandy Feet likes this.
  7. Sandy Feet

Did you carb them at room temperature, 50s, low 60s, high 60s? And did you use the carb temps for your D rest?

8. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    D rest in 60s. 34/70 can handle up to 70. I then carbed at the same temp. Sit the bottles upright in the fridge to help with the trub from bottle carbonation

Sandy Feet likes this.
  9. Sandy Feet

I guess I have a fermentation plan then:
    Pitch normally but put into a 40-degree refrigerator for a few hours before raising it to 55. Ferment 14 days at 55. Raise to 65 for 3 days.
    Bottle. Carbonate at around 65 for 3 weeks. Lager in the 30s for a month, two, or as long as I can stand it.
    I do need to go back and look at some 2 row vs. 6 row discussions.

Trialben and Minbari like this.
  10. Minbari

fuel hauler
    And of course you will have to open a few along the way for....... Quality control. :oops:

Sandy Feet likes this.
  11. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    14 days should be enough, but ideally you should verify that the gravity has not changed for three days before deciding that fermentation is 'done'.

Best with a refractometer: it will give incorrect readings because of the alcohol, but it needs only a drop of liquid and the relative readings can be counted upon.

Nonetheless, after 2 weeks you can feel good if you just have to guess - it'll be ok.