PPG?

chrsylte

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a Novice home brewer and use Beersmith up to today. Alot of nice things is said about Brewer's Friend (BF) so i am trying it out.

There is one challenge, and that is figuring out the PPG for custom grains. I am using Viking Malt's and there are no info about ppg's. Googled ppg, and found a formula http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html
Both the Brewer's Friend calc and the formula on howtobrew calculate with all the grains vs total G/liters.
In Brewer's Friend every custom grain needs to have a ppg, so how can i find this?

(If you are responding to this with formulas you need to explain in detail)

Skål!

The manufactures site will have the stats on all their grains, do not trust a formula for custom ppg and not a third party site go strait to the source
With that said if you just can't find it go to a major retailer like northern brewer find the grain the click details it should give some info

Thanks for the reply.

Let me use an example: Viking malt are made in Finland and i cant find ppg on any of their products. It seems that PPG is ofc. not used in Europe since gallon is not something we use. Liters is what is used.

So correct me if i am wrong PPG on European grain is not actually available unless they also aim for the American marked.

if thats the case I would just use the German malts in this calculator, there all very close as far as 2-row and cara-malts goes

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, think that can work. And use the Description / Notes, to write what type of malt i used to remember.

Hi again,

Done some more research. And i am kind of more confused. PPG is after what i understand measured after a mash.

Ref: from John Palmers website: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html
When all-grain homebrewers get together to brag about their brewing prowess or equipment and they say something like, "I got 30 (ppg) from my mash schedule", they are referring to the overall yield from their mash in terms of the amount of wort they collected.

Example batch, we will assume that 8.5 pounds of malt was mashed to produce 6 gallons of wort that yielded a gravity of 1.038. The brewer's total sugar extraction for this batch would be 6 gallons multiplied by 38 points/gallon = 230 points. Dividing the total points by the pounds of malt gives us our mash extraction in points/pound e.g. 230/8.5 = 27 ppg. This value is good, if not great; 30 ppg is basically what everyone shoots for. Comparing these numbers to lager malt's 37 ppg maximum gives us a good approximation of our mash efficiency: 27/37 = 73%, while 30/37 = 81%.

If we look at the maximum ppg numbers for each of the recipe's malts, we can calculate our actual mash efficiency:

Malts OG based on Max. PPG
6.5 lbs. of 2 Row 37 x 6.5 / 6 = 40.1
0.5 lb. of Chocolate Malt 28 x .5 / 6 = 2.3
0.5 lb. of Crystal 60 34 x .5 / 6 = 2.8
0.5 lb. of Dextrin Malt 32 x .5 / 6 = 2.6
0.5 lb. of Roast Barley 25 x .5 / 6 = 2.1
Total 49.9 points

In this case, mash extraction of 1.038 means our percent efficiency was 38/49.9 = 76%.

So based on this, how come "Brewers Friend" want us to give a PPG on a customer grain, that is not mashed yet? I'm sure there are an very good explanation to this.

There is a maximum amount of sugars that can be extracted, which is what BF is asking for. In your example the 2-row had a max of 37 ppg, meaning that 1 lb of 2 row with 100% efficiency would add 37 points (1.037) to 1 gallon of water. The ppg is needed to set SG projections based on the efficiency you set.

I live in Estonia and my local brewshop uses Viking Malt, at least they have Viking Malt bags lying around everywhere. If you have no idea what the PPG might be, you can use this: http://www.pruulmeistrid.ee/olletegu/linnased

It is in Estonian, but all malts have some details on them. You can convert the "extract fine % dm" to PPG

Back